Edmondson lambasts AWOL stars and demands major improvement
Last updated at 13:35, Friday, 30 November 2012
Reds general Darren Edmondson admitted some of his troops went AWOL during the embarrassing 6-1 defeat to Bradford Park Avenue, and has demanded a major improvement.
Declining to name the players he felt let the rest of the team down during the humbling loss – Workington’s heaviest at home for 17 years – he said: “There were certain players that went missing, and that is unacceptable.
“Football is a team game, and no matter what happens, you must support your mates.
“Some players didn’t do that, which is extremely disappointing.
“Those players need to look at themselves in the mirror, because they didn’t do enough to justify their shirt number. They didn’t do enough to help their mates.
“It was a huge let down, for everyone associated with our proud football club.”
Changes are expected to be made to the starting XI for tomorrow’s clash with promotion-chasing Brackley Town.
Edmondson hopes to have at least one new player in the squad, but denied it was a reaction to last weekend’s mauling.
He said: “It’s vital we have strength in depth.
“Any players brought in are not a rash decision after a couple of bad defeats.
“Even if we had beaten Bradford, I’d have been looking to expand the squad.”
Lee Andrews and Dan Wordsworth are fighting to replace James Bolton, after the Macclesfield defender’s loan expired.
Midfielder Mark Boyd is also in contention after declaring himself fit.
He has missed the last few weeks with a calf problem.
But striker Jordan Connerton is a doubt with a hernia.
Brackley are second in the Blue Square Bet North, just a point of top spot.
They travel to West Cumbria with a formidable record.
Losing just once, a 6-1 hammering at Harrogate, they have won six of eight away games.
First published at 13:19, Friday, 30 November 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Reds club links
- League and cup results 2013-14
- Conference North 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- Blue Square North 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- Blue Square North 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- Blue Square North 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- Blue Square North 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- Blue Square North 2008-09
Football tables round up
- Workington factory to close with loss of 152 jobs (3 comments)
- Legal challenge over Cockermouth's Taste Cumbria event (16 comments)
- Nuclear college to be built in West Cumbria (7 comments)
- Cumbrian man suffers serious facial injuries in attack
- Comedian Sean Lock sells out Workington’s Carnegie Theatre in record time (5 comments)