Heroic 10-man Workington Reds battle to draw with runaway leaders Chester
Last updated at 23:22, Tuesday, 19 February 2013
Gari Rowntree harpooned a stunning 20-yard drive into the roof of the net as 10-man Workington Reds battled to a stunning 1-1 draw with Chester.
Workington had to play against Chester, who are 16 points clear at the top of the Blue Square Bet North, with 10 men after Lee Andrews was controversially sent off with just five minutes on the clock.
The defender was adjudged to be the last man after tangling with Nathan Jarman, and referee Peter Wright quickly flashed a red card to the dismay of boss Darren Edmondson.
His Chester counterpart Neil Young agreed Andrews was harshly dismissed and admitted: "It wasn't a red card. If anything it was a free kick for Workington."
Wright has agreed to study video evidence, and Andrews could help rescinded.
Chester, who signed Carlisle United's long-term nemesis Lee Trundle 24 hours earlier, took the lead on 50 minutes when Williams headed Antoni Sarcevic's cross past Joel Dixon.
But the lead only lasted two minutes as Rowntree latched on to a loose ball, and ran at the heart of the visitors' defence.
And, from 20 yards, lashed a fierce shot into the roof of the net, to restore parity.
The longer the game went on, Workington dropped deeper, allowing Chester to press, but with no joy.
Reds defence was dogged, as they stayed held on for a fantastic point.
From Chester's 30 matches, they have won 25, losing just once.
Workington remain 16th in the league, 10 points above Colwyn Bay in the final relegation places.
Elsewhere, Colwyn drew 2-2 with promotion hopefuls Guiseley, and relegation-threatened Droylsden earned a point from a 1-1 draw at Harrogate.
First published at 22:38, Tuesday, 19 February 2013
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Reds club links
- League and cup results 2013-14
- Conference North 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- Blue Square North 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- Blue Square North 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- Blue Square North 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- Blue Square North 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- Blue Square North 2008-09
Football tables round up
- HAVE YOUR SAY: West Cumbria's answer to Angel of the North (18 comments)
- Lidl plans to open store in Maryport (3 comments)
- Support is growing for Workington bypass demand (9 comments)
- Leisure centre go-ahead for Workington (33 comments)
- Closure of two Cumbrian schools to go ahead