No room for Hinckley failure for Workington Reds
Published at 13:11, Friday, 22 February 2013
WORKINGTON Reds’ heroics against promotion-chasing Altrincham and Chester will count for nothing if they lose to stricken Hinckley.
The league’s bottom side have won just once this season, and are cast adrift at the foot of the table.
With a points deduction for failing to control their finances, their on-the-pitch problems have seen them concede 95 times in just 28 matches.
On nine occasions, teams have scored five or more goals against them, with Altrincham winning 8-0.
Reds boss Darren Edmondson said: “After the heroics against Chester, there were smiles on faces in the dressing room, but the lads were shattered.
“But we have to put the same effort in.
“Picking up four points from teams going for promotion will mean nothing if we go to Hinckley and lose.
“The performance must be right, and we cannot go there expecting to win.
“Hinckley have brought in reinforcements in recent weeks.
“They are fighting, but it’s a game we have to win to make sure we keep looking up the table, instead of down.”
Gari Rowntree was Workington’s star man against runaway leaders Chester.
Rolling back the years with a solid defensive performance, it was higher up the pitch where Rowntree really made his mark.
Scoring a sensational goal to level for the 10-men of Reds, Edmondson admitted he was hoping the fullback, who is not known for his goal scoring exploits, would pass to a team-mate.
He said: “The whole dug out was praying he’d pass it.
“All his team-mates too, but we know Gari has a great left foot, and thankfully, it went into the roof of the net.”
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Reds club links
- League and cup results 2013-14
- Conference North 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- Blue Square North 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- Blue Square North 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- Blue Square North 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- Blue Square North 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- Blue Square North 2008-09
Football tables round up
- HAVE YOUR SAY: West Cumbria's answer to Angel of the North (29 comments)
- Lidl plans to open store in Maryport (5 comments)
- Support is growing for Workington bypass demand (9 comments)
- Leisure centre go-ahead for Workington (42 comments)
- Jobs go as West Cumbrian metal firm shuts (6 comments)