Wright and Hewson battle for Reds’ top tache title
Last updated at 13:36, Friday, 30 November 2012
Sporting a beautifully-crafted moustache in aid of Movember, Workington Reds winger Anthony Wright carefully ensures not a hair is out of place.
Wright is one of a number of players growing facial hair to raise awareness of male cancers.
He’s also cultivating the perfect nose neighbour in a bid to land Reds’ top tache title.
Coming agonisingly close last season, he just missed out to David Hewson’s handsome handlebar.
Hewson was a dead ringer for actor Ben Stiller in the cult film Zoolander.
He executed Stiller’s Blue Steel pose to perfection, and is again one of the leading candidates.
The players have been collecting money for charity, and ran out against Bradford Park Avenue evoking memories of football from a bygone era.
Led by manager Darren Edmondson, the players have discarded their razors to raise awareness of prostate cancer, which killed the 41-year-old’s step-dad Dennis Whelan last year.
“There are some impressive efforts,” said Edmondson.
“Anthony Wright is looking sharp with his well-groomed effort.
“David Hewson is always going to be a contender. He’s a very hairy man.
“He looks very smart, and could easily retain his title.
“There are others who have given it a go, but I’d say it was between Anthony and David.”
Well down the pecking order is left-back Gari Rowntree, who is struggling to grow much more than a bit of bumfluff.
“Gari looks terrible,” joked Edmondson.
“He’s given it a go, bless him, but he’s unable to grow much of anything.
“The lads have raised awareness of a serious issue, and helped collect money for a great cause.
“Cancer is a very serious issue, and if we can help even one person by looking silly for a month then that is fantastic.
“I, like a lot of other people, have seen how cancer works, and it’s a horrible disease.
“Our Movember efforts have been a laugh, but with a serious message behind them.
“ I am looking forward to using my razor again. It’s been a long time, and it itches.”
First published at 13:17, Friday, 30 November 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Reds club links
- League and cup results 2013-14
- Conference North 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- Blue Square North 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- Blue Square North 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- Blue Square North 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- Blue Square North 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- Blue Square North 2008-09
Football tables round up
- HAVE YOUR SAY: West Cumbria's answer to Angel of the North (29 comments)
- Lidl plans to open store in Maryport (5 comments)
- Support is growing for Workington bypass demand (9 comments)
- Leisure centre go-ahead for Workington (42 comments)
- Jobs go as West Cumbrian metal firm shuts (6 comments)