Cumbrians in England Test squad
Published at 19:37, Thursday, 05 November 2009
CUMBRIANS Mark Cueto and Steve Borthwick was both in the England squad for tomorrow’s Test match against Australia.
But England have injury problems and their starting XV is likely to contains 11 players with 13 caps or less, six of whom count their international appearance in single figures.
Even with veteran campaigners Jonny Wilkinson, Lewis Moody and Borthwick in the team, the average number of caps per man is a paltry 19.
Borthwick said: “It is going to be a big test for the squad and it will give players chances. We must view this as an opportunity and not feel sorry for ourselves because we are missing so many.
“You cannot dwell on who is absent. We have to go into the series as a strong group and emerge from it even stronger.”
Steve Thompson will be reunited with Jonny Wilkinson in the England team for the first time since they won the 2003 World Cup together.
The former Northampton hooker is recalled to the starting line-up two years after spinal surgery forced him to quit the game.
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Woman found dead in Workington toilet named
- Crisis talks as whole of Cockermouth Main Street to close for £1.7m work (9 comments)
- Calling time on Circuit Bar after 25 years
- £24,000 electric bill for £26,000 West Cumbrian chapel
- Man stole beer and chocolate buttons in store raid - police issue CCTV picture