Rugby league considers bid for World Cup games in Workington
Last updated at 07:03, Friday, 04 May 2012
West Cumbria’s battle to host next year’s Rugby League World Cup has intensified with the sport’s governing body “seriously considering” a bid for Work-ington’s Derwent Park to take over Copeland’s doomed bid.
The Rugby Football League confirmed it has received an offer from Workington Town and Allerdale council, after the backers behind the Copeland bid pulled the plug on plans for a new £5.5m stadium at Pow Beck.
Last week’s Copeland’s chaos plunged the region’s chances of hosting matches involving Scotland, Italy and Tonga into meltdown.
A spokesman for the RFL said a number of expressions of interest had been lodged, but it could take up to a month for a decision to be made.
Declining to name the others who have offered to stage the tournament, the spokesman added: “Deciding Copeland’s successor is top of our agenda.
“It’s the most important decision the RFL has to make so we will be taking it seriously.
“Workington’s name is in the hat. We have received their proposal, but there are others we need to consider too.”
Town chairman Dave Bowden said he was happy to work with the RFL for as long as it took, but reaffirmed it was crucial for the area that West Cumbria kept the games.
He said: “We must keep the Rugby League World Cup in West Cumbria. To have the championship in England, and for us not to be a part of it, would be criminal.
“Not only would it be criminal, but it would be a massive step backwards for everyone connected with the sport.
“Workington Town and Allerdale council will work together to put forward the most convincing argument possible why we should be allowed to keep the games in West Cumbria.”
Copeland council, Whitehaven Rugby League Club and Whitehaven Amateur Football Club branded their failed project unfeasible or affordable after failing to agree terms with landowner Whitehaven Miners’ Welfare Association about an access route to the stadium.
Leading figures across West Cumbria were quick to pour scorn over the decision with Workington MP Tony Cunningham describing the move as horrendously disappointing.
He has written to the RFL in an effort to keep the tournament in West Cumbria.
First published at 06:10, Friday, 04 May 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
So once again Workington Town have to come to the rescue of the area and save it from the embarrassment`s caused by those morally bankrupt lot down the road.