X

Cookies

Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Wednesday, 23 April 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Students escape as fire rips through Cumbrian house

Fire badly damaged a student house at Newton Rigg College, near Penrith, early today.

The semi-detached property had been converted into bedsits for four students, all of whom escaped unhurt.

The blaze began on the ground floor and quickly took hold.

Firefighters believe it was caused by clothes which ignited after being left to dry near a night-storage heater.

The ground floor was severely damaged and the upstairs heavily smoke logged.

Station manager Craig Drinkald, of Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service, said: “The key message is keep clothing away from electric heaters and fires.”

Firefighters were called at 2.30am and were at the scene for two-and-a-half hours.

Four appliances were involved.

Eight firefighters in breathing apparatus used hose-reel jets to douse the flames after they searched the smoke-logged building to make sure no-one was trapped inside.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

Hot jobs
Search for:

Vote

Do you care that an osprey has returned to Bassenthwaite?

Yes - it's great news for the area

No

Show Result