Thieves go on five-day crime rampage in Cumbrian town
Last updated at 09:20, Monday, 09 April 2012
Thieves went on a five-day crime spree in Maryport, ransacking 15 cars and stealing anything from a handful of change to a child’s coat.
Every car they targeted across the town between Monday and Friday last week, had been left unlocked by the owner, according to police.
Among the thieves’ haul were three pairs of sunglasses, two laptops, four sat navs, a child’s coat and a bag containing a pair of sandals.
Detective constable Nicola Henderson, from the area intelligence unit, said: “They are opportunists who are trying door handles and if they are open, they look inside and steal whatever they can.
“They are not just targeting new cars, they are searching old cars as well. They are having a good look through glove compartments and open the boot where they can.
“There’s a market for absolutely anything when you’re funding a drugs habit.”
Four people were arrested in connection with the car crimes.
A 26-year-old woman and 24-year-old man from Maryport were released on police bail after admitting interfering with several vehicles.
A 22-year-old and 19-year-old were also arrested and bailed on suspicion of handling stolen goods.
Police are still looking for one more person in connection with the car crimes, five of which occurred in one night on The Beeches housing estate.
DC Henderson added: “These are just the ones we know about, sometimes people don’t report it if nothing has been stolen.
“We’ve had spates like this before but not for a while. I would urge members of the public to leave nothing of value in their cars.”
Car crimes in Maryport between Monday and Friday last week included:
- The Beeches between 9pm on April 2 and 8am on April 3. Sunglasses stolen from a Honda Civic.
- The Beeches between 6pm on April 2 and 9am on April 3 sunglasses and case worth £45 stolen from a black Astra after untidy search.
- Lime Grove between 9pm on April 2 and 8am on April 3, black Toshiba laptop, bag of sandals and a bag containing a blue checked shirt were taken from a Renault Megane.
- The Beeches between 10pm on April 2 and 9.30am on April 3, sunglasses and 10 CDs stolen from a Ford Fiesta.
- The Beeches between 9pm on April 2 and 7am on April 3, an Apple iPod and hooded top stolen from a Astra.
- The Beeches between 1pm on April 2 and 12 noon on April 4, a JVC digital radio was stolen from a Citroen Picasso.
- The Ghyll sometime on April 4 and 5, a Toshiba laptop and sat nav were stolen from a Mazda.
- The Ghyll between 9.30pm on April 4 and 1pm on April 7, untidy search of a Lexus but nothing to steal.
- Strand Street between 5.30pm on April 5 and 7am on April 6, a Garmin sat nav stolen from a Audi A4.
- Gilmour Street between 9pm on April 5 and 2.30am on April 6, a Garmin sat nav and child’s coat were stolen from a Hyundai.
- The Co-Op, Curzon Street, at 11pm on April 5, crash helmet and gloves stolen from moped.
- Strand Street between 3pm on April 5 and 10am on April 6, searched Renault Clio but nothing to steal.
- Crerar Street between 9.45pm on April 5 and 8.30am on April 6, a small quantity of change and CDs taken from a Ford Mondeo.
- Ismay Close between 9.30pm on April 5 and 8am on April 6, a Navman sat nav was taken from a Peugeot
- William Street between 8.20pm on April 5 and 6.50pm on April 6, set of keys stolen from a Fiat 500.
First published at 09:11, Monday, 09 April 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk