Thomo helps Jamaica
Published at 11:27, Friday, 20 August 2010
WATH Brow Hornets ace Kevin Thompson will help Jamaica prepare for their World Cup qualification campaign when he lines up against them for Great Britain Community Lions in Leeds on Sunday.
The game is part of a two-week tour which will also see Jamaica take part in the Carnegie Floodlit 9s where they will compete against fellow international sides Wales and Scotland, plus 10 Super League clubs and Northern Rail 9s winners Halifax.
The Jamaican squad will comprise 10 domestic-based players and seven from the UK.
Spokesman Romeo Monteith said: “Our Jamaica-based players can only improve when they come up against some of the best players in the world.
“This tour is intended to improve the experience of local players and open their eyes to how the world’s toughest team sport is played in a fully professionalised setting.
“In addition it will help the domestic based players bond with the UK-based players, a process which is vital as we build towards our game against the USA in November.”
The match also gives the Community Lions another chance to play together following their unbeaten tour of South Africa.
The game is set to be a curtain-raiser to the Championship One clash between Hunslet Hawks and the South Wales Scorpions and will kick off at 1pm.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- HAVE YOUR SAY: £300m West Cumbrian water supply move to save mussels (14 comments)
- Facelift for Workington Hall if council can stump up the £300,000 (7 comments)
- Call for action in Cockermouth over huge trees (5 comments)
- Maryport mourns rugby player who died in Eastbourne Pier fall (1 comment)
- No compensation over Cockermouth roadworks (6 comments)