Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Monday, 06 July 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Upperby Park gain revenge over Warwick Wanderers

Upperby Park 5 Warwick Wanderers 1: Upperby Park continued their impressive home record with a solid victory to avenge a 5-1 defeat earlier in the season.

Amateur football photo
Upperby's Dan Black, right, heads towards goal

The visitors took the Carlisle Sunday league division two game to them from the kick-off with Joe March blasting a 25 yard free-kick over the top and Will Booth made good progress down the right before unleashing a low shot wide from a narrow angle.

In Upperby's first foray forward Dave Alexander's free-kick found Tom Short who sent his header straight into the arms of keeper Shaun Greenup then Dan Black ended a surging run with a fine cross to Alexander who headed over the bar.

Upperby kept the pressure on and Black's header from Alexander's free-kick tested the keeper, who also did well to punch away Barry Bell's well-flighted free-kick in a crowded area.

And he was called into action again, blocking Black's shot after his defence failed to deal with Alexander's curling corner.

Wanderers briefly responded as Booth produced another fine run and centred to March, whose header could only find the hands of keeper Les Armstrong.

Three minutes before the break Upperby went ahead as Brian Black was fouled in the box and Alexander rifled in the spot kick. Within a minute Upperby went two up as an in-swinging cross from Bell was not cleared and Jody Cowley fired home.

Within three minutes of the restart Wanderers were back in the match. Following some shirt pulling, they were awarded a penalty and despite keeper Armstrong getting a firm hand to the ball at full stretch, he was unable to prevent Karl McCue's kick finding the net.

Upperby responded by taking control for a spell. Bell's long throw found Dan Black who twisted and turned but woefully pulled his effort off target but in the 55th minute a third goal finally came when Dan Black crossed and Alexander took advantage of some slack defending to stroke the ball home.

Bell spurned a great chance to add another, miskicking after being picked out by Cowley. Mark Graham then threaded a pass through to Dan Black, whose cross from the edge of the box was too strong for his in-rushing colleagues.

At the other end, Robert Slack's long ball sent Booth clear but he scuffed his shot at the vital moment. Upperby grabbed a fourth goal in the 65th minute. Dan Black's 30 yard volley took a wicked deflection from a defender to deceive the keeper. Later the keeper just managed to rise quickly and snatch the ball before Joel Vilchez could connect with his head from Alexander's centre.

Wanderers countered and McCue's long throw found Slack in space who sent his volley well off target. Wanderers had a let-off when Dan Black's drive took another deflection just wide of the upright with the keeper stranded, but Alexander's resulting corner was neatly flicked in by Vilchez to make sure his side went four points above Wanderers.

In a late rally March swept a great ball to McCue whose finish was denied by the keeper's outstretched foot then March sent Booth clear to find the net only to have the goal ruled out for offside.


Hot jobs
Search for:


Would you consider cancelling your holiday abroad following the events in Tunisia?



Show Result