Wagon trailer hanging over motorway bridge near Carlisle
Last updated at 08:36, Wednesday, 13 February 2013
Police closed part of the M6 motorway yesterday (Tuesday) near Carlisle because a HGV trailer was hanging over a bridge.
The refrigerated vehicle carrying about 10 tonnes of food was in a "precarious position" on Calthwaite bridge.
Two lanes of the M6 northbound, between junctions 41 and 42, were closed for a number of hours. That closure was then reduced to just one lane.
The road from the A6 at Thiefside to Calthwaite village was also closed.
An air ambulance was called to check on the driver, who was taken to Cumberland Infirmary, Carlisle.
The HGV was recovered and the motorway fully reopened at about 5pm.
Police are investigating how the incident occurred and want to speak to witnesses.
Anyone who saw the accident or has information about it, should call Sergeant Graeme Hodgson or any officer from north Cumbria’s Roads Policing Unit on 101.
The incident happened at about 8.30am.
First published at 09:37, Tuesday, 12 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Man airlifted to hospital after major fall in Workington
- West Cumbrian road closed as water main bursts
- Restaurant owner died in crash after drink-driving - inquest
- Council disputes claim multi-storey car park is £1m flop (23 comments)
- Controversial Cockermouth housing estate plans given go ahead by Allerdale council (2 comments)