Workington man's £5,500 benefits fraud
Last updated at 13:08, Wednesday, 27 February 2013
A man has been prosecuted for fraudulently claiming benefits.
Action was brought at the West Cumbria Magistrates’ Court in Workington by Allerdale Council against Nicholas Brian Read, 36.
Read, of Hill Crest, Northside, Workington, failed to notify the council of a change in circumstances affecting benefit entitlement.
He admitted when interviewed that he failed to declare a change of employer which resulted in increased income.
As a result of failing to declare his true income, he was overpaid £5,571.20 in benefits.
Read was ordered to carry out 80 hours of unpaid work with costs of £85.
First published at 11:41, Wednesday, 27 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Four Workington pubs sold
- Two weeks to act over Cumbrian parking permits charge (10 comments)
- Snooker hall demolition planned in Workington (2 comments)
- Green Maryport firm hailed by presenter Kevin McCloud (1 comment)
- West Cumbrian village bus service is axed (7 comments)