Workington Reds game called off
Last updated at 12:13, Saturday, 01 December 2012
Workington Reds' game against Brackley Town has fallen victim to the weather.
The club announced on Twitter today that the league game had been postponed due to a frozen pitch. The Town End goal area at Borough Park was considered too firm in the referee's view, the club said.
Before the inspection, Brackley Town’s players had already made the 268-mile trip to west Cumbria.
Setting off yesterday afternoon, the Northampton side stopped overnight.
Temperatures hovered just above zero overnight. General manager Alec Graham said: “A repeat of what happened to Worcester would not have been acceptable. We made the decision early to call in local officials to evaluate the state of the pitch."
“We’ve tried to be as courteous to Brackley as we could.”
First published at 11:42, Saturday, 01 December 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Jobs go as West Cumbrian metal firm shuts (6 comments)
- PHOTOS: Downies clinch second game in Workington series
- Alan Dawson builds on all his experience with an award and a new job
- Alan Dawson back on TV with eco-friendly school extension (3 comments)
- PHOTOS: Downies swing first victory against Uppies