Workington Reds hit by weather again
Last updated at 11:56, Monday, 31 December 2012
WORKINGTON lost their third game of the holiday programme when Saturday’s Blue Square North game at Vauxhall Motors was postponed because of a waterlogged pitch.
Last Saturday the eagerly-awaited home clash with runaway leaders Chester was called-off 80 minutes ahead of kick-off because the Borough Park pitch was considered unsafe by the referee.
Then came the Boxing Day postponement at Harrogate when the Wetherby Road pitch failed an early-morning inspection after heavy rain.
Vauxhall inspected their Rivacre Park pitch at 8.15am on Saturday and decided it was unplayable because of standing water. The games at Harrogate and Vauxhall still have to be re-arranged but Reds will host Chester on Tuesday, February 19.
Workington’s home game with Brackley, which had been postponed on December 1 because of a frozen pitch has now been rescheduled for Tuesday, March 12.
Reds hope to be able to play their first game of the holiday programme on New Year's Day when Harrogate are due to visit Borough Park (3pm).
First published at 11:30, Monday, 31 December 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Woman found dead in Workington toilet named
- Crisis talks as whole of Cockermouth Main Street to close for £1.7m work (9 comments)
- Calling time on Circuit Bar after 25 years
- £24,000 electric bill for £26,000 West Cumbrian chapel
- Man stole beer and chocolate buttons in store raid - police issue CCTV picture