A MAN who was found dead in the flat he shared with his father died from a drug overdose, an inquest heard.

Gary Smith, 28, of Station Road, Workington, was found dead in an armchair on July 20 last year.

He had taken heroin the previous night and had traces of diazepam and other drugs in his body.

David Roberts, senior coroner, heard that Mr Smith had been a happy child and teenager but that he was easily led with a long history of drug problems.

Mr Smith, who was single and unemployed, had just moved into a new flat with his father, also called Gary Smith.

On the evening of July 19 last year he was drinking at home before leaving to visit his friend and step-cousin in Northside.

The pair headed into Workington, bought heroin and returned to Mr Smith's flat, where they took the drugs. His friend left the flat after feeling unwell.

Mr Smith was found dead by his father the next morning.

The inquest heard that Mr Smith was admitted to hospital on the Tuesday before his death after suffering a drug overdose, which was believed to be the first time he had taken heroin.

Mr Roberts said that he believed his lack of tolerance to the drug was a factor in his death.

Mr Smith was born in Whitehaven and grew up in Distington, before moving to Workington in his teens.

He attended primary school in Distington then went to Southfield School.

His mother Jackie Cummings said she knew her son had taken diazepam and cannabis in the past but had no idea he had used heroin.

She added that she could not accept the way he had died.

She said: "He was a beautiful baby, a lovely child and a happy teenager, just a young man who lost his way.

"I feel that I failed him because I didn't know about the Tuesday.

"If I'd known about that I maybe could have gone to the hospital and begged them to keep him in.

"It's something I think about every single day."

In the year leading up to his death, Mr Smith had had support from mental health services because of concerns he might have psychosis but they determined he was not suffering from the condition.

Mr Roberts concluded that Mr Smith's death was drug related.

He said: "He was in my view heroin naive. He would have a low tolerance to the drug.

"I'm satisfied that Gary has voluntarily accepted, by purchase, drugs."