A NUMBER of people have been brought before the courts for flouting the rules of the road in Cumbria.

Carlisle’s magistrates’ court sentenced drivers last week for a host of offences, including driving without due care and attention and speeding.

Among the people to be brought before magistrates on Thursday was Gary Tyckyj, of Gilbert Road, Carlisle.

The 44-year-old admitted driving without due care and attention on February 8, on the A7 at Westlinton, north of the city.

Court papers show that Tyckyj was driving a black Honda Civic at “high speeds” and hit a que of stationary traffic that was waiting for traffic lights at roadworks to change. These actions caused the other drivers to shunt forward into one another.

He was fined £70 and ordered to pay a £30 victim surcharge. His licence was endorsed with three points.

On the same day the court fined Orhan Aytac, of Beechwood Avenue, Carlisle, £102 for speeding on the A69 at Warwick Bridge. The 47-year-old was clocked at 36mph in a 30mph zone.

He was also ordered to pay costs of £85 after admitting the charge.

Gillian Bawn, 53, of Main Street. Frizington, was also fined for speeding.

Bawn received a £240 fine for travelling 43mph in a 30mph zone, the B5345 at Low Road/St Bees Road in Whitehaven. The offence happened on February 22 while Bawn was driving a Nissan car. The four points added to her licence would’ve meant disqualification under the totting rule. However, Bawn argued that stripping her of her licence would lead to loss of employment. The court found “exceptional hardship”, allowing her to keep her licence.

Neil Andrew Hewitt, of Caldcote Avenue, Cockermouth, was also spared losing his licence. His licence had three points added to it after admitting speeding on the A689 bypass in Carlisle. He was clocked on September 11 travelling at 52mph in a 40mph zone. Hewitt, 70, argued losing his licence would cause him to lose employment and potentially his house and therefore “exceptional hardship” was granted.