A TOWN is in mourning following the death of a man and teenager in a crash.

Police yesterday confirmed that a 15-year-old girl and a 58-year-old man died in the two vehicle collision on the B5302 near Abbeytown on Monday.

They were last night identified as Andrew Frith and Jodie-Anne Frith, both from Silloth.

The tragedy happened on a stretch of the B5302 between the Wheyrigg Hall Hotel (Wheyrigg) and Abbeytown at about 1.30pm and involved a Vauxhall Astra car and an HGV.

In a statement, Cumbria Police said: “As a result of the collision, the driver of the Astra, a 58-year-old man, and the front seat passenger, a 15-year-old girl, both from Silloth, sadly died at the scene.”

The driver of the HGV, a 46-year-old woman from Carlisle, was taken to the Cumberland Infirmary in Carlisle to be checked over.

The news has devastated the coastal town of Silloth, with scores of tributes being paid to the pair on the News & Star Facebook page.

Kellymarie Higgins wrote: “Our little town is broken. We are a small town but we have a big heart and we are all feeling the pain for this lovely family.”

Dave Pealing echoed her thoughts: “How very very sad... the effect on the town will be horrendous.”

Johanna Cash added: “Silloth is feeling this today, so so sad.”

Other tributes included:

Tom Tatters: “So sad. Especially for someone with their whole life ahead of them. RIP.”

Laura Jane Sutcliffe: “Absolutely heartbroken. Thinking of everyone at this sad time.”

Dawn Marie: “Always in my heart beautiful... beautiful inside and out. We’ll never forget you.”

Janet McNichol: “So tragic. Condolences to family and friends. Thanks for the assistance from all the emergency services.”

Amanda Carter: “Absolutely heartbreaking. Our thoughts are with your family.”

Joanne Graham: “How so very sad. My thoughts go out to all relatives/friends and our emergency services.”

Four fire engines joined police and ambulance crews at the scene and used hydraulic rescue equipment to help free the casualties from the vehicles.

The Great North Air Ambulance Service confirmed it was initially called to the crash, but was stood down before arrival.

After the collision, the road remained closed in both directions for several hours as emergency crews worked at the scene. It reopened shortly after 7.30pm.

Anybody who witnessed the collision, saw either vehicle in the moments leading up to the crash or has any information is asked to contact PC2422 Motum or Sergeant 1929 Bainbridge by calling 101 or email 101@cumbria.police.uk, quoting log 104 of August 12.