A COVID patient dubbed 'Teflon Man' by nurses after surviving one of the longest stays in intensive care during the pandemic has woken from a coma - and can't remember what coronavirus is.

Grandfather-of-six Brian Harvey, 69, was admitted to hospital in late March with what was thought to be pneumonia.

Tests soon revealed he actually had COVID-19 - which had killed around 230 and infected more than 5,000 people in Britain at that stage.

He was put into an induced coma in an intensive care unit prior to the diagnosis, leaving him with little knowledge of the unfolding health crisis.

His family feared they might have to say goodbye while he was unconscious - describing the ordeal as "heart-wrenching".

But brave Brian kept on fighting and is now on his way back to full health - having been given the touching nickname 'Teflon Man' by hospital staff.

His daughter Faye Stapleton, 32, has since revealed that she and others had to explain there was a global health crisis was when he awoke - as he had no idea.

She said: "He didn't even know about coronavirus when he woke up!

"We had to explain to him that there was a virus out there, explain that everything was shut.

"He FaceTimed everyone and they were all crying. He asked why, and they said: 'We thought your name would never be coming up on our phone contacts again!'.

"I don't think any of the [nurses] thought he was going to make it.

"The ICU nurse who saw him at the start said to him: 'You're made of strong stuff - you're like Teflon'.

"He's having physio to walk again at the moment. His muscle mass has just gone from where he was led in the bed.

"He's back on his phone, posting on Facebook pages. He's doing really well."

Dad-of-three Brian, from Headley Park, Bristol, was admitted into the Bristol Royal Infirmary (BRI) on March 21.

He was then induced into the coma a day later - meaning he was family didn't even have the chance to say goodbye properly if the worst happened.

Faye said: "Dad was in the coma for four weeks, and he didn't respond for another week.

"We had a horrific phone call from the doctor, where they were going to send him for brain scans.

"He was still on a ventilator when they tried to wake him up. It's been heart-wrenching.

"My parents have been married for more than 50 years. Mum was begging doctors to let her in when we were told Dad might not make it through the night.

"They'd never spent more than five nights apart. It feels like we have all been tortured through all this.

"The hospital staff have been absolutely amazing - they saved my dad's life. We can't thank them enough.

"They just go above and beyond."

Faye said that Brian has picked up another infection on his heart so may have to stay in hospital for another six weeks.

But she added that he appears to be back to his "normal self" - which has relieved the family - and should be out next week if he beats the latest illness.

Generous Faye kept herself busy during Brian's coma by deciding to raise money for the NHS - so she could buy tablets for other families.

She managed to collect more than £6,000 after launching an online campaign and is delivering the Samsung devices to the BRI today (Mon).

She said: "The nurses suggested we FaceTime Dad so he could hear familiar voices. We contacted him every day - and it kind of gave me the thought to raise money.

"Luckily he had taken his phone, but what about other families who hadn't taken theirs?

"We've purchased ten tablets so far. We are hopefully going to get some more when they come back in stock."

Retired Brian previously ran a building company, which is now being looked after by his two sons.

His wife is called Mary, 67.