Wath Brow Hornets saved neighbours Kells from relegation but now won’t feel as generous when they face more local opposition on Saturday.

Having beaten Normanton Knights 28-8 to condemn the visitors to the drop, the Brow will now make the short trip to Egremont for the Premier Division play-off clash.

Normanton finished level on points with Kells after the Whitehaven side had lost 18-6 at home to West Hull in their final game of the season. But the Cumbrians were 41 points better off than the Knights in a minus scoring differential.

Egremont finished fourth in the table after a 24-12 win at the bottom club Myton Warriors.

Wath Brow couldn’t have asked for a better start as they scored a try on two minutes through their eventual man-of-the-match Jay Wetherall.

Midway through the half, Peter Caddy scored a second Wath Brow try and, soon afterwards, Curtis Teare stormed over for the third try, converted by Cole Walker-Taylor.

Lee Hammond made it 14-4 at half-time with an unconverted try and, six minutes into the second half, the Knights had real hope after a second try from Tom Alexander.

Walker-Taylor landed a penalty soon after but they weren’t really comfortable until Wetherall scored his second try on 66 minutes and added the conversion.

Normanton knew defeat was inevitable and Karl Dixon wrapped up the Hornets win with a try six minutes from the end with Walker-Taylor adding the extras.

Meanwhile that result was greeted with loud cheers at Kells after the home side had gone down to a West Hull side who had climbed into second place on scoring differential.

In a tight first half, the first points did not come until the 34th minute when Jack Watts crossed for the first West Hull try.

Three minutes into the second half, the Humbersiders scored again with a try from Scott Spaven which Ryan Wilson converted. A Wilson penalty just on the hour stretched the lead to 12-0.

Kells were fighting hard and gave themselves hope when Scott Lofthouse scored a try which Ross Gainford converted.

But West Hull made sure of the spoils with four minutes to go when winger Luke Morris, their man-of-the-match, went in for the try which Wilson converted.

Egremont travelled to Humberside to witness the dying embers of Myton Warriors brief stay in the Premier Division. Mind you, it looked for a while as though Myton were going out with their heads held high as they were all square at 6-6 at half-time.

Matty Bewsher had given Egremont the lead with a try and conversion but, by the break, Myton were level through a Dan Spencer try, converted by Ash James.

Man-of-the-match James McDonald went in for a try five minutes into the second half and Bewsher added the extras. Tom Horner barged over for the third Egremont try, converted by Bewsher, but Mayton made it 18-12 with a try from Lee James, converted by Ryan Walker.

Horner’s second try, converted by Bewsher, finally settled the points three minutes from the end. And Bewsher added the conversion.