Carlisle Cricket Club and Cleator served-up a contest worthy of the upper reaches of the North Lancs and Cumbria Premier Division.

On another baking hot summer’s day at Edenside, league leaders Cleator eventually ran out winners by just 17 runs.

Batting first, the visitors amassed 243, thanks largely to Dave Watson’s 78 and 50 from professional Wadgue.

Their total might have been even more impressive but for the combined efforts of Carlisle bowlers, Fraser Conn and Henry Walker who each picked up four wickets.

Walker wrapped up the tail with all four in his and Cleator’s final over.

In reply, it took a run-out of Ben Davidson to break Carlisle’s promising opening partnership, before Tom Benn was judged LBW off Darren Clark.

But if Cleator sensed a collapse, they were to be disappointed by a debut first-team 50 for young batsman, Jonathan Davidson, batting in tandem with his captain Marc Brown.

The pair added 94 for the third wicket, carefully laying the foundations for a late assault on Cleator’s total.

Not for the first time though, Cleator were indebted to paceman, Dave Blackwell who broke Carlisle’s resistance, ending young Davidson’s innings on 58 and going on to finish with figures of 6-44.

Carlisle fall further adrift in the table, but will take heart from pushing the leaders all the way.

Elsewhere, at Haverigg v Lindal Moor, the Moor decided to bat and lost wickets regularly.

Only opener Callum McDougall with 61, and number nine, Craig Crawford, with 30 not out got their side to 169 all out in the 48th over.

Haverigg’s pro Roy Kaia, four for 21 in 15 overs, and Robbie Evans, three for 59, were main wicket takers.

Haverigg openers Dale Graham, 52, and skipper Drew Postlewaite, 36, gave their side a good start but then wickets went down regularly and with nine men out, it was left to Liam Ford to get Haverigg their first win, at 170 for nine in the 33rd over.

Lindal Moor pro Keshan Wijerathne returned 6 for 32 in nine overs.

At Dalton v Wigton, the visitors - in first - batted well.

Mike Slack, 92, Nico Watt, 55, and Michael Hill, 53, saw their side to 288 for seven at tea.

Dalton, having to score just under six an over, were just below the needed rate, but wickets fell and the side were all out for 167 in 32.3 overs, Liam Curwen making 63. Wigton’s Ben Purdham took five for 49.

Workington took on Keswick and the visitors – winning the toss – batted and soon found themselves 22 for three.

Pro Geeth Kumara came to the rescue and was unbeaten on 85 when overs ran out, and with late support from Andrew Bryson’s 29, Keswick made 187 for eight.

After tea, the Workington top and middle-order, with the exception of Kaushalya Gajasinghe, was blown away to be 57 for six.

It was left to the tailenders – especially number nine Matthew Young’s 45 – to help Gajasinghe who finished on 81 not out to see Workington to the win 188 for eight in 48 overs. Kumara took six for 40 in his 15 overs.

At Cockermouth, they hosted Whitehaven with the home side in first and losing two early wickets.

It was left to opener Alex Grainger with 87 including 15 fours, and Marcus Stables with a valuable 49, to see the home side to 237 all out in 50 overs.

Whitehaven’s Jonathan Stewart took four for 28 in 10 overs and Mohammad Yasin four for 62 in 15 overs.

The visitors made a decent start but nobody went on to make a major score, and from 160 for six, Whitehaven were 191 all out.

Mohammad Yasin made 32 and Chadd Pearson 31. Cockermouth’s Sam Thompson took 4 for 42 in seven overs.