Wigton Cricket Club became the first team from the county to beat North Lancs and Cumbria Premier Division leaders Cleator.

In a superb County Cup quarter-final, Wigton won by seven wickets and with eight balls to spare.

The visitors had made 230-4, inspired by a brilliant unbeaten 120 from Darren Clark. But even that knock was put in the shade by Wigton professional Mike Slack who raced to 151 not out in a winning reply of 231-3.

Slack had put on 97 for the opening wicket with his skipper Nico Watt (35) and, in the closing stages, had Andy Oliver (28 not out) for company.

Watt said: “It was a magnificent innings from Mike and a terrific win, as Cleator had only lost once this season – and that was in the national Village competition.

“We are the first team through to the semi-finals where we will be away to the winners of Workington and Carlisle.

“After a slow start to the season, we have hit some form and, in all competitions, have won four of our last five games.

“We go to Furness on Saturday, which is always a test, but they have lost three league games recently, so it might be the right time to play them.”

In the other quarter-finals of the County Cup, Furness are at home to Whitehaven and Keswick visit Barrow.

Wigton’s home game with Haverigg on Saturday was a complete contrast to the County Cup tie, with both sides struggling for runs.

Again, though, Slack was the match winner for Wigton top-scoring with 54 out of a total of 157 and then taking 5-39 when Haverigg were dismissed for 127.

“Their professional Roy Kaia was going particularly well but, when he was on 54, he got a superb delivery from Ben Purdham and was caught behind by Matthew Reed,” added Watt.

Furness, who face Wigton tomorrow, had suffered the third of their recent defeats at Carlisle on Saturday.

It was another good performance by the Edenside team who have now moved second in the table – but still 19 points behind Cleator.

Derval Green, in his final game for the club, did well with 42 in a home total of 228-9 and then took 4-45 as Furness were bowled out for 206.

Young Henry Walker, who has been bowling very well recently, top-scored for Carlisle with a vital 45 not out coming in at number nine.

There’s another big game in prospect tomorrow when Carlisle visit Cockermouth who are just behind in third place.

In the CN Higson Cup on Bank Holiday Monday, the city side had a big win over the Sandair side and will be looking to follow-up in the league.

The first-team might be away but it’s a busy weekend at Edenside as the club will hosting Edenfest 2018 on the ground.

This is a charity event ran in conjunction with Parkinson’s UK and in its second year at Edenside.

Gates are open from 12pm at the rear of the main pavilion with entertainment, music, beer and food marquees and a host of other attractions. Live performances on the main stage commence at 5pm.

For the regular supporters, there will be cricket on as usual with Carlisle 2nd XI (currently top of the Eden Valley Premier Division) entertaining Temple Sowerby from 2pm.

On Sunday, Edenside is playing host to the NatWest Under-19s T20 Finals Day (2017) from 10am. This event was postponed in September with the ground suffering a deluge prior to play commencing.

Carlisle Under-19s will face Netherfield at 10am followed by Furness v Egremont at 1pm. The final is scheduled for about 5pm.

The Playground has been a graveyard for many clubs over the seasons, but Keswick made short shrift of Whitehaven when dismissing the home team for just 137 from 46.3 overs.

Opening bowlers Glen Weightman and Sri Lankan professional Geeth Kumara – who had a superb day – applied the brakes to the home team’s batting and Kumara went on to take an exceptional 5-19 from 14.3 overs.

In reply, Keswick cruised to a match-winning 138-2 from 30 overs with opener Will Atkinson hitting an undefeated 54 and Kumara 41 not out.

The full Premier Division programme tomorrow is: Cockermouth v Carlisle; Dalton v Cleator; Furness v Wigton; Haverigg v Whitehaven; Keswick v Millom; Workington v Lindal Moor.