At the halfway mark Workington Reds are in the driving seat of the FA Trophy replay against Newcastle Town at Borough Park.

After a 2-2 draw at the weekend, the two sides are back doing battle again tonight but it is Reds who look the more convincing taking in a three goal lead at the break.

In the opening minutes Workington were passing the ball about well and both sides were testing each other out. But it was the home side who settled quicker and with a number of touches from several players the ball found its way to Brad Hubbold just outside the area and he blasted the ball home.

The keeper failed to keep hold of the ball and it was Workington in the lead after just 10 minutes, with Hubbold claiming his first ever goal for the club.

Sam Joel looked to try his luck from distance as Reds continued to press but it just sailed over the top of the crossbar.

Continuing to press and earn his start in the side, Hubbold did well near the corner to turn his defender and slip a nice pass in to the feet of Jason Walker but the experienced striker could not hit the target.

Into the 23rd minutes and Reds deservedly made it 2-0 after some concerted pressure and it was Walker who broke his goal drought, much to the delight of the striker and the Borough Park faithful.

He received the ball in a great position with just the keeper to beat and he lobbed the ball over him and watched it roll into the back of the net.

Joel saw a couple of shots blocked in the area after some good play from Reds inside the Newcastle half and at this point in the game looked the more assured on the ball.

The first real chance for the visitors came after the half hour mark and from a throw in, Newcastle got the ball into the box and Reds failed to clear but nobody got on end of the cross from skipper Matt Lowe which slid past the far post.

The third goal for Workington came inside the 36th minute, the home side were attacking again and the ball fell to the feet of Joel who hit it sweetly to thunder past the watching keeper and give Reds a good cushion.

Newcastle tried to break away as the clock began to tick down towards half time but Jamie Mellen clipped the heels of the attacker and got a yellow card for his efforts, leaving the visitors with a free kick in a dangerous position but it went through the sea of players in the box and out for a goal kick.

The two sides continued to battle but went in at the break with Reds 3-0 ahead.