Distington are Cumbria’s sole surviving amateur side in the third round of the Coral Challenge Cup.

Wath Brow Hornets were surprise casualties in the second round of the competition and south Cumbrians Millom were beaten 26-0 by Siddal at the weekend.

Wath Brow went down 9-8 at home to York Acorn of the National Conference First Division, narrowly losing to a last-minute field goal.

The Hornets were as disappointed as they were surprised by Acorn’s gritty win, courtesy of a last gasp field goal from Ant Chilton.

It proved to be the only score of the second-half after the first 40 minutes had finished all-square at 8-8.

The Hornets had taken the lead on 22 minutes with an unconverted try from Karl Dixon but, seven minutes later, the York visitors went ahead.

Reece Rushworth crossed for a try and Chilton added the conversion.

Back came Wath Brow and they regained the lead late in the half with a try from Luke Davison.

Crucially it was the second unconverted score for Wath Brow and, just before the break, Chilton levelled with a penalty.

Both teams had chances in the second half and, just when it looked like a gruelling contest would go to extra time, up popped Chilton with his one-pointer to win the game.

Distington didn’t have it all their own way against the RAF and the Servicemen were always in the contest.

In fact, they enjoyed the lead for a short spell in the first-half but, crucially, had a man sin-binned on 55 minutes and, during his absence, Distington scored their second try before closing out the game at 14-6.

The hosts had gone ahead on nine minutes with an unconverted try from Phil Lister but, midway through the half, the RAF got in front.

Adam Flintham went over for a try which was converted by David Blezard-Downs.

However, before the break, Bryan Ritchie charged over for a Distington try which was improved by Gavin Martin.

Lewis Farr was sin-binned for punching 15 minutes into the second half and while he was off the field Jack Penrice scored the try which gave Distington extra breathing space.

They were able to see it through and claim a third round place for the second year in a row.

After their first round heroics against Red Star Belgrade, Millom were unable to repeat that against Siddal.

It finished 26-0 to the National Conference Premier Division side after they had established a 12-0 lead by the break.

n Third round draw – back page.