Oldham made sure they were not on the receiving end against another Cumbrian side this weekend as they defeated Whitehaven at the Vestacare Stadium.

Whitehaven pressed at times and they came close but it wasn't enough as Oldham had enough in the tank to pull away and win 36-12.

There were at least two or three decisions that did not go Haven's way and they could have changed the shape of the game with three tries ruled out for the West Cumbrians.

But, in the end, it was Oldham who took the crucial League 1 points.

It was not the greatest start for Haven as despite pressing the Oldham line, they kept getting caught out and the home side took all their chances.

Oldham opened the scoring as Zack McComb touched down after an overlap on the right hand side but Dave Hewitt could not convert it.

And minutes later McComb was over again as he broke through for his second of the afternoon, this time Hewitt was on target with the extras and Oldham were 10-0 ahead.

McComb then crossed for a first half hat-trick with Hewitt converting as Oldham looked to get a clear advantage.

Anthony Bowman then slipped the ball to Richie Hawkyard who scored under the posts with Hewitt converting and Oldham were looking good.

But just before the break, Haven hit back as Callum Phillips scored from the base of the scrum, with Jake Moore converting for a half time score of 22-6.

Haven got off to a much better start in the second half as young Andrew Bulman got touch down just minutes in and Connor Holliday converted to bring them back to within 10 points of their hosts.

But then they were hammered by a couple of refereeing decisions that would prove crucial as trialist Ethan Kelly crossed the whitewash but the score was ruled out for a double movement, much to the ire of the travelling Haven fans.

Then a second score from the Millom amateur was also chalked off, this time for a forward pass while the home side were reduced to 12 men with Anthony Bowman off the field for 10 minutes in the sin bin.

But when they were back up to the full 13, Oldham made Whitehaven pay as Hewitt stepped inside to score and then added his own extras to allow the home side to pull away again.

Oldham then added a penalty in front of the sticks with Hewitt on-form and at 30-12 the Roughyeds looked to have sewn up the win.

It was definitely all over in the final minutes as Hawkyard bagged his second of the day and when Hewitt converted the final score was 36-12.