Workington stayed entrenched in relegation trouble after losing out to title-chasing Farsley.

After three successive away wins for Reds this was going to be the stiffest test for the Cumbrian against the side lying second in the table.

Although they fought hard throughout, and particularly in the second-half saw plenty of the ball, they lacked a cutting edge.

They had gone closest through Dean Brotherston in the first half as he hit a post and then had a header splendidly saved by home keeper Kyle Trennery.

The match was settled by two first-half goals, both stemming from some lapses in defence.

Thy had not been helped by the late arrival of senior players Niall Cowperthwaite and Jason Walker. Travelling by car they had been held up in traffic and both started on the bench, coming on later.

Reds had almost got off to a flier when Brotherston hit the foot of the post in the first minute.

But it was Farsley who got the breakthrough after only six minutes when Reds failed to cut out a low cross and Paul Walker had a simple tap-in at the far post.

Workington were denied by Farsley’s talented young goalkeeper Trenerry when he got across to claw away a good header from Brotherston.

Reds had made a good response after the early set-back and forced a couple of corners, the second of which was headed wide by Sam Smith.

Brad Carroll was the first name in the referee’s book on 21 minutes after a foul, and then Reds were put under pressure from a needlessly conceded corner but the final shot from Nathan Cartman drifted wide.

Cartman was a lively and dangerous player for Celtic and when he set up Danny Ellis the centre-back should have done better as he screwed his shot well wide.

Workington were doing their best work on the break and when Trenerry dropped a cross Brotherston was in quickly but the keeper redeemed himself by holding onto the Reds’ player’s chip.

It was a severe blow when Farsley scored their second goal out of nothing on 38 minutes. Jimmy Spencer collected a clearance and then lifted a great finish over Aaran Taylor.

Carroll had two efforts at goal, one well held by Trenerry and the other going just wide and the half ended with Reds trailing by two goals.

Workington started the second-half well and after Trenerry had been short with a clearance Dave Symington volleyed it back at goal and was just off target.

Then Symington got on the end of a Kieran Maguire cross but headed just wide. It was Maguire’s last contribution as he was replaced by Niall Cowperthwaite just short of the hour.

Reds were having as much of the game as their hosts but were still looking lightweight where it mattered.

They made a second substitution on 68 minutes when Jason Walker replaced Brotherston.

He had an early opportunity when he went after a through ball from Cowperthwaite but delayed his shot and Ellis cleared.

Reds had enjoyed more of the ball but hadn’t seriously tested the home goal.

Reds, who only had four substitutes, made their third change ten minutes from the end when Cameron Harker came on for skipper Gari Rowntree.

Four minutes from the end Farsley made their first change with Isaac Baldwin replacing Spencer. He had an early chance but Taylor easily held his low shot.

A second Farsley substitution followed in the 90th minute when Luke Parkin replaced Cartman, and that was quickly followed by Asa Mitchell coming on for Dave Syers.

There was the chance of a late consolation for Reds when a wickedly curling free-kick from Cowperthwaite had Farsley in trouble but the ball ended behind for a goal kick.