Workington Town are into the fourth round of the Coral Challenge Cup after beating Siddal but they found it hard going at Derwent Park.

The National Conference League amateurs put them to the test on a few occasions although it is Workington who claimed the 22-0 victory at the final hooter.

Workington set off in the best possible fashion with two tries in the opening 10 minutes against the amateurs.

The first came after just six minutes when the ball came out to the left hand side where winger Scott Rooke dived over the line and Carl Forber added the touchline conversion.

And on the next burst Town came storming through again to reach the line where Sean Penkywicz decided to go on his own and reached out to touch down but this time they could not tag on the extra two.

The tries kept coming with Stevie Scholey the next to crash over the line after Jamie Doran got the ball away to him and he dived over by the posts, leaving Forber an easy conversion.

The amateurs then seemed to come to life and Siddal had their best spell of the game with a kick through from full-back Gareth Blackburn just scooped up by Jonathan Walsh.

Then Danny Rushworth was held up over the line and sub Sean McCormack halted inches short on the last tackle as the penalties were also starting to creep into the game.

Town looked to press and try and regain the upper hand on the field but as they closed in on the try line a loose pass from Penkywicz was intercepted by Ben Hinsley and Siddal came away with the ball.

Although they didn't get over the line on this attempt a neat kick did force a goal line drop-put from Town as the amateurs continued to make their presence felt.

Town had a late chance in the game but Penkywicz's pass out to winger Rooke went out of play and the home side had to settle for a 16 point lead at the break.

Into the second half and again it was the visitors piling on the pressure with just a run out of his own half by Karl Olstrom to lighten the gloom for the home side.

A great break from George Ambler allowed Eddie Ainley to go close and then a searching little kick from Chris Brooke looking for his half back partner Christian Ackroyd had to be dropped on by Caine Barnes when a try looked certain.

Siddal sub Jake Turner was then held up on the last inches away from his target with Town struggling to get any impetus in their play.

Town finally had their chance as Carl Forber saw the opportunity to put a kick towards the corner with Elliot Miller haring after it but the ball did not bounce kindly and a Siddal foot just put it out of play in the nick of time.

It was the 64th minute before another score was on the board and thankfully for Town it went their way as Ollie Wilkes crashed over between the sticks, leaving Forber an easy two pointer to take the score out to 22-0.

A good kick from Turner pinned Town behind their own line once more, forcing a drop-out and shortly after Siddal will have felt themselves unlucky as Ben Hinsley got over the line but the linesman took exception and it was disallowed.

In the end Town clinched the game and they now face Newcastle Thunder in two weeks time in the fourth round.