The West Cumbria Youth Amateur Rugby League fixtures finally got under way on Sunday, after being completely wiped out the previous weekend due to the pour weather conditions.

In the newly-formed Under-13 league, Kells came from 14-12 down at home to Hensingham going into the final five minutes of the game, to steal it 22-14. Two Fletcher Holgate tries plus a Tom McKinney conversion gave the visitors a 10-4 lead at the break, Spike Canavan getting the four-pointer for Kells.

Keenan Bowes reduced the arrears early on with an unconverted try, only for Miller Dalton to extend it again with a try for Hensingham, 14-8 to the visitors.

But, with two tries in the last minutes, from Jamie Jennings and Neo Wilson, both converted by Harley Nelson, Kells plucked victory from the jaws of defeat.

Egremont Rangers played host to Lowca and it was Rangers who ran away with it by the final whistle with an impressive 32-8 winning scoreline. Egremont were 14-0 up at the break thanks to two Corey Gill tries, plus a try and goal from Kaiden Block.

In the second period, Lowca registered the first points of the half, Ashton Briscoe going over the whitewash, 14-4. But Rangers hit back with two touchdowns as Block crossed for his second, closely followed by Sam Williams. And, with Block adding both conversions, the home side were well in control at 26-4.

Lowca crossed again as Dylan Schwarzer crashed over, but Egremont had the final say with Henry Ogilvie-Brown scoring to give Block an easy conversion.

Maryport Under-13s got their season off to a good start, defeating visitors Cockermouth, 32-14.

Luke McKnight and Charlie McCombe both ran in two tries apiece, with other tries coming from Kian Jones and Harvey Hughes. Dylan Bragg kicked two goals with Lewis Moore and Aaran Fitzpatrick landing one apiece.

In the Under-16 league, Egremont Rangers played hosts to Kells but lost out when going down 30-18, after leading at the break 8-6, with Alex Marsden and Rhys Fitzsimmons picking up tries for the Rangers and a Mitchell Todd touchdown, goaled by Blaine Graham replying for Kells.

At the start of the second period, Kells hit Egremont with four tries in the opening 15 minutes, Todd crossing twice to complete his hat-trick, Sam Casson and Jamie Haile also went over, Graham added one conversion to give Kells a 24-8 lead.

Egremont’s Ellis Trotter and Kells’ Alfie Elliott scored a try apiece, with Graham adding the conversion for Kells. But Egremont had the final say as Lennox Hunter crashed over, goaled by Luke Williams to pull the score back to Egremont 18 Kells 30.

Wath Brow Under-16s travelled to Maryport and won 16-10. Jack Shepard and Josh Pattinson picked up tries for Maryport with Matthew Heaney adding a conversion. In reply fFor the Brow, there were two tries for James Harrison, plus one and a conversion from Morgan Ackerly, with Owen Dobson landing a goal.