Keighley Cougars came back with two tries in the dying minutes to snatch the points away from Workington Town.

Town had come back from 16-0 down to lead 26-18 with just over 12 minutes left on the clock but Keighley got one score and then got on a roll to get the second and crush Town hearts.

After a tough week at Derwent Park, following the departure of coach Leon Pryce, Town had to regroup for a tough fixture.

It was the home side who got the scoring under way with a successful penalty kick early doors and then there was a resounding sound around the ground with a minute's applause in remembrance of Danny Jones.

Then, shortly after Benn Hardcastle went over for the first try, which remained unconverted to give Keighley a 6-0 lead.

Town went close with a grubber for Perry Singleton to chase but Keighley got back and then they struck again.

The Cougars forced their way up the middle before superb hands fed the ball across to the left wing where Taylor Prell got over the line.

And then Dan Parker crossed the whitewash with Hardcastle converting to take the score out to 16-0.

But Town struck back with four minute to go to the break as Stevie Scholey got the ball free out of the tackle and Sam Hewitt scored with an overlap in the corner, Carl Forber converting.

Then, on the whistle, Caine Barnes earned himself 10 minutes in the sin bin and Hardcastle slotted over the resulting penalty for an 18-6 lead.

After a tough opening 10 minutes Barnes came back on the field but Town did themselves no favours when shortly after Forber was also sent to cool his heels for 10 minutes on the sidelines after talking back to the referee.

But the Workington side are used to doing it the tough way and they came back at the Cougars with 12 men as Jonathan Walsh went over in the corner and Izaac Farrell added the touchline conversion to bring the gap back to six points.

And then, to the delight of the travelling faithful, the away side were having their best spell of the match and when they shifted the ball from left to right, James Worthington was there to touch down. Farrell was again on target and he levelled the game at 18-18.

Forber was back on the field with a quarter of the game still remaining as Town looked to continue their momentum and Singleton again went close, the Cougars having to scramble to defend.

Oliver Wilkes had returned to the field while Forber was off it and he was making a huge impact so it was just rewards when a Forber pass was caught by a charging Wilkes and he went over the line to put his side ahead.

Forber was back on kicking duties and he duly obliged to slot over the conversion and put Town in the lead for the first time in the game, with just over 12 minutes remaining.

A penalty conversion from Forber gave Town some breathing space with an eight point lead.

But then back came Keighley to set up a grandstand finish as James Feather scurried his way over the line from dummy-half and the conversion was added by Hardcastle to narrow the gap to just two points.

Keighley were on a roll and a Farrell tackle was needed to halt them but then Town gave away a silly penalty with five minutes remaining and Hardcastle slotted it over from 15 metres out to level the scores.

It was Feather who struck at the heart of the Town defence and clinched the game for Keighley when he touched down again and with the extras going over, courtesy of Hardcastle, it was the Cougars who were six points clear.

And they got to the final hooter to take the points against the odds in the second half.