Workington Town sealed a superb victory on their return to Borough Park, overwhelming Coventry Bears with a sizzling display of rugby.

Two superb tries from Ryan Fieldhouse were probably the highlight of a comprehensive performance from Town as they ran away with the game in the second half.

Town put the pressure onto the Bears from the off and Sean Penkywicz looked to kick on the last which caused chaos in the Coventry defence and they fumbled, handing Workington another set on their own try line.

And Town made the most of it as they whipped the ball out to the right hand side where Tyllar Mellor raced in and Carl Forber tagged on the extras from wide out.

Just three minutes later and Town were in again as Gordon Maudling made a good charge down the field before Jamie Doran evaded a tackle near the half way line and broke away.

The half-back went over 50-metres to score a fine try but this time Forber could not convert however Town were 10-0 to the good.

The wider advantage did not last long though as Coventry struck back. As they neared the Town line, a mistake earned them a second set and it was hooker Sam Davis who dived over the whitewash with Elliot Hall landing an easy kick.

Both sides looked to gain the upper hand and there were a string of penalties that slowed the game down but it was Town who came back out the better.

On 19 minutes a nice ball from Forber to the onrushing Stevie Scholey saw the second rower cut through on a great angle to the line, leaving Forber an easy kick to make it 16-6.

But their opponents were not about to lie down and after pressure near the try line second rower Jacob Jones burst over from close range to narrow the gap, with Hall converting.

Town were dealt a blow before the break when Tyllar Mellor, in his first game after coming back from injury, had to leave the field after colliding with the barrier when he was racing for a ball.

After a couple of unsuccessful forays towards the Coventry line, Town finally got the breakthrough they needed when Perry Singleton charged over the line, taking several defenders with him.

Another Forber success with the boot and Town were on the up and with two minutes to go before half time, they struck again.

A knock-on from the Bears gave Town field advantage near the line and Doran was quick to spot a gap out on the right. He put boot to ball and Calvin Wellington saw his intent and hared after it to touch down.

Forber's kick this time came back off the uprights but it was the home side who had the advantage at the break, leading 26-12.

Town opened up the second half with intent as a great break from Declan O'Donnell released Ryan Fieldhouse down the centre of the field. Town looked to get the ball out wide and make an immediate impression but Doran's pass went into touch.

But they didn't give up and a great run to the line from Andrew Dawson set up some good field position, then Doran put a kick to the corner for Mellor to chase.

And the youngster, back on the field with his head bandaged, just had to touch it down, with Forber kicking the extras from the touchline to make it 32-12.

Ryan Fieldhouse produced some individual brilliance to take the lead out even further as he handed off his would-be attackers and strode with purpose to the line from 60-metres out, taking one over the line with him. Forber's kick missed the target but Workington were looking good at 36-12.

Town's next score was not for the rugby enthusiast but it was well taken in the end by Russell Bolton. The ball came loose near the Bears' line and it ricocheted off a couple of the visiting players before sitting up for Bolton to touch down.

Forber extended the lead further with the kick and it was now Workington's game to lose at 42-12.

A barnstorming run from skipper Ollie Wilkes, looking for his 101st try of his career was halted at the line when he was held up. But he had left his side in a great position and a little chip kick towards the post saw Tom Curwen dive on the ball, leaving Forber an easy two-pointer.

Coventry did get a try back on 69 minutes when Zak Fellows went over in the corner but the conversion was missed.

And the final word went to the Town side with a superb try from Ryan Fieldhouse. He scooped up the ball one-handed 70-metres out and evaded the last line of defence for a second time in the game before he stretched out over the line to put it down as the hooter sounded for the end of the game.

In one last twist on Borough Park, Fuifui Moimoi stepped up to take the kick and curled it between the posts much to the delight of the Town faithful as they sealed the game at 54-16.