Workington Town have sealed a crucial victory in their League 1 campaign with a hard fought victory over London Skolars.

Pride and passion were to the fore for a depleted Workington side who banded together and fought for each other every step of the way as they clinched a 32-22 victory.

On an emotional afternoon for the home side, as they remembered both legend Harry Archer and team manager Brian Ritson, who have recently died, Town started on a bright note.

They got off to the best possible start with a try after just two minutes. On the back of field position due to a penalty, the home side were putting the pressure on at the Skolars try line.

And it was a neat little grubber from the boot of Jamie Doran that allowed Perry Singleton to dot the ball down without a hand on him.

Workington got their heads up quickly and they pressed again in the next set as Doran again caused problems for the London side, with a great little pass out of the tackle to Declan O'Donnell. But then the final kick this time was just too far for the chasing attackers to be able to touch down.

Unfortunately a penalty then went in the opposite direction and Skolars were given a helping hand to the other end of the field and they took full advantage with Judd Greenhalgh charging over the line and Neil Thorman converting.

Town looked to try and get back into the game as Carl Forber loops the ball to the far side but when Sam Hewitt flicked the ball out to Jonathon Walsh, the winger fumbled and a try went begging.

The visitors took the lead with a penalty kick from the boot of Thorman as they looked to get in the ascendency.

But then a brilliant defensive effort from Town got them back on the front foot, as players combined to push the Skolars back around 20 metres and as they slipped up then the home side got the ball back in a great position.

Tylar Mellor was causing all kinds of problems for the Skolars defence as his pace was proving effective.

But it was Doran who pulled Town back in front as he danced through the defence to touch down after some good pressure, but this time Forber could not convert.

However, the lead was short lived as on the half hour mark Skolars came back when James Barran came in on the angle and went through unscathed to touch down in between the posts, leaving Thorman an easy two-pointer.

A great run from Walsh as he skipped through the Skolars defence but when he was hauled down there was some afters which saw the home side earn the penalty.

But they could not find the crucial score and it was London who took a 14-10 lead in at the break.

Town again got off to the perfect start in the second half with a quick try as Declan O'Donnell spotted the gap in the centre of the field and powered through to touch down, leaving Forber an easy kick to retake the lead at 16-14.

Indiscipline was starting to creep into the game and Town went close with O'Donnell again nearly taking advantage.

But then Skolars came off their own line and Omari Caro was released up the touchline before a try saving tackle from Maudling stopped him in his tracks.

From here on in tempers were bubbling and Skolars were put on a team warning by the referee after a high tackle on Mellor by Lameck Juma.

Then just seconds later Barran was caught swinging the punches and he was sent to cool his heels in the sin bin with a yellow card.

Town's one-man advantage did not last long though as the niggling continued and Town's O'Donnell left the field permanently being shown a red card for punching.

This all seemed to spur Workington on though and some great defence put Juma into touch and they were on the attack once again.

As the ball was flung out to the right hand side Mellor dived over twisting out of the arms of the would-be tacklers to get the ball down but the extras could not be added and Town had a six point advantage.

The talented youngster was then involved in a superb tackle to halt another London attack as they looked to get back into this game with the clock ticking down.

But back came London to level this game yet again in a thrilling finale as Iliess Macani touched down, with Thorman adding the extras and then he went on to add a penalty to put them in front.

However this Town side could not be put down and in a superb finish, Stevie Scholey raced over to touch down and Forber tagged on the two-pointer to make it 26-22 to the home side.

Forber then lifted his side as he won the ball back in the centre of the field, and on the attack again Town sealed the win as Doran danced his way through and got the try that brought the Town faithful to their feet.

Forber's conversion sailed between the uprights and the hooter sounded for a superb win for Workington at 32-22.