There was nothing to choose from between Whitehaven and Workington Town this afternoon as the two teams remained on level terms at the final whistle.

In a full blooded West Cumbrian derby encounter the League 1 clash finished at 12-12 despite some late attempts from both sides at a drop-goal to sneak the win.

But in the end it was probably a fair result as both sides give it their all with no quarter given in front of a bumper 2,360 crowd.

It was the worst start possible for Town as they fumbled from the kick off and Haven got a scrum around 15 metres out and then the visitors made another mistake, giving away a penalty in front of their own sticks for having another go at Marc Shackley as he got up from the tackle.

Jordan Burns stepped up to take the kick and successfully slotted it between the uprights to take the lead for Haven.

Town looked to get back into the game and as they pressured the home line a high tackle on Tyllar Mellor got them another set of six 15 metres out.

And it looked as though Jonathan Walsh was over in the corner when he collected a great ball from Sean Penkywicz but the ref pulled the score back for a forward pass much to the disgust of the Town faithful.

Calvin Wellington and Stevie Scholey came close to scoring but then the final kick through was scooped up by Burns but the full-back fumbled and Town kept up the pressure but again they couldn't make it pay.

Haven picked up another penalty after about 16 minutes when a high tackle sparked an altercation between the two teams. Burns slotted it over again and Haven were 4-0 to the good.

When Dave Thompson acrobatically picked up a kick from deep from Jamie Doran, Haven heads were up again but a fumble from Callum Phillips at the play-the-ball defused any pressure on Town.

Then at the other end of the field another error halted the Workington charge as Declan O'Donnell could not hold onto a little popped pass from Doran.

After 24 minutes both teams made a big change in their packs with Fuifui Moimoi coming on to replace Scholey for Town and former coach Carl Forster replacing Kris Coward for Haven.

And it was Haven who extended their lead to 6-0 with a third penalty from the boot of Burns, this time for a bad tackle of Callum Phillips and he slotted it over from distance.

Town then went back on the attack and when a mistake in the Haven defence handed them another set of six they upped the pressure, forcing a drop-out in the end.

Another penalty went Town's way for offside but a great set of defence from Haven blocked their way and forced the error they were looking for.

As the clock ticked down to half time Town got back into the game as Haven were pulled in on the right hand side and Calvin Wellington strolled over untouched. Forber added the extras and the game was all level once more.

It was tough and uncompromising to the end but at at the break it was all square at 6-6.

The second half got off to the perfect start for Workington as they got the points on the board to hand them the lead for the first time in the encounter.

A little show and go from Doran was enough to open up the home defence and he burst through to score, leaving Forber an easy conversion by the posts which he duly obliged.

Then Doran put a great kick in and he went on and pinned Dave Thompson behind the posts but a short kick was captured by Haven they went on the attack.

Haven were back in the game when a little offload to Marc Shackley saw the Haven skipper steam over the line from close range and Jake Moore tagged on the extras to go level again in an exciting clash.

A great set from Haven and a good kick from James Newton put the pressure back on Town but then an offside call got them back up the field.

Forster was held just short as the suspense increased in this all important derby game with so much to play for.

Then a grubber kick from Doran had to be run out by the Haven defence as Town pressed in an all-action clash.

Fuifui Moimoi broke through to cause problems for Haven and he combined with Forber to go close before Danny Tickle was halted inches short.

But again mistakes crept in and a loose pass from Mellor was collected on the ground by Haven and they won the scrum 15-metres out from their own line.

Forrester looked to try and snatch a one-pointer but it was wide and long and it bounced dead and at the opposite end Forber's attempt at the drop-goal was also off target.

Burns looked to be in space as he tried for a drop-goal as both sides looked desperately to take the honours but his effort was wide of the post as the clock ticked down.

Town had one last chance but a mistake in putting boot to ball too early probably cost them another effort and shortly after the hooter sounded to end the game as a draw.