A superb kicking performance from Carl Forber helped Workington Town to victory over West Wales Raiders.

The visitors were no pushovers and broke through the defence on a number of occasions but in the end it was Town who took the win 66-22.

Forber put over 11 conversions from 11 attempts on an afternoon where Town virtually consolidated their play-off position in League 1.

Town were quick off the mark to get their visitors on the back foot from the off. In just the second minute they were down and pressing on the West Wales line.

It was Sean Penkywicz who saw the opportunity as he whipped the ball out wide to winger Jonathan Walsh and he strode over the line, with Carl Forber adding the extras from the touchline.

Just minutes later it looked as though Penkywicz had done enough to dummy his way through the defence but as he looked to pass out of the last tackle the ball went astray and the Welsh side gratefully scooped it up.

But it was Town who were caught out close to their own line as Philip Cowburn got on the end of a kick to dart over and added his own conversion to level the scores.

Danny Tickle put Workington back ahead when he burst over the try line near the posts, leaving Forber an easy conversion.

Workington were despondent when Stevie Scholey dropped the ball close to his own line but West Wales mirrored the mistake moments later and Town capitalised.

Penkywicz picked the ball up and set off a move involving two or three players that saw Russ Bolton hare off up the touchline. He showed a great turn of pace to outrun the visiting defence and touch down, with Forber again on target with the goal.

On the half hour mark Gordon Maudling got on the end of a nice kick from the boot of Doran to race over the line, with Forber converting.

And the half-back got his fifth goal of the afternoon when he tagged it onto the end of a Caine Barnes try just before half time, the powerful forward taking several defenders over the line with him as he scored.

And that meant Town had the advantage at the break, going in 30-6 ahead of their visitors.

Into the second half and it was West Wales who drew first blood as scrum-half Tyler Hunt skipped through a gap in the Town defence and slipped the ball to Patrick Jennings who finished off the move byt touching down, with Cowburn converting.

And they caught the Town defence napping a second time just minutes later when Cowburn worked hard to send Samuel Baker over the line, with the former converting.

This seemed to finally wake the home team up and good hands forced the ball out wide to the waiting Walsh who flew over in the corner, and Forber added another good goal from the touchline.

Then Penkywicz took them on himself, stretching an arm out of the tackle to dot the ball down on the line, with Forber excelling with the boot, adding his seventh goal of the day.

An altercation between Town's Caine Barnes and West Wales' Gioele Celerino saw both players sent to cool their heels in the sin bin.

But Workington did not let that halt their flow as within seconds of the game restarting, Maudling was over the line for his second of the afternoon, Forber again on target.

Blain Marwood came on to the field to replace Penkywicz and immediately reaped the rewards with a nice pass from Tickle putting him on a run to the line where he scored, with Forber converting.

West Wales were not about to lie down though and came right back at their hosts and were rewarded with a try in the corner from Mickael Sabour.

However, into the final minutes and it was Town who finished off in style with Sam Hopkins going through a gap to score and then Blain Marwood bagging his second after a good pass from Doran.

Forber finished off a fine performance with 11 goals from 11 attempts as they won 66-22.