Doncaster sailed to a convincing victory over a lacklustre Workington Town in the final League 1 game of the season.

Both sides were already assured of a play-off place but the outcome of this game was set to determine the exact placings.

And with this 30-4 defeat for Town and a win for Oldham, it means Workington will head to Hunslet for the play-off elimination clash next weekend.

There was no real doubt as to which way this game was going as Town always looked off the boil and Doncaster were determined to take the victory.

Doncaster took a firm grip on the clash with Workington always struggling to keep up with their visitors who looked dangerous on every attack.

There were some tough tussles from the off as both sides looked to get on top.

Town had to defuse an early high ball from their visitors and at the opposite end of the field Calvin Wellington was causing some problems but his final ball just couldn't find Jonathan Walsh and the attack was defused.

It was Doncaster who got the first points on the board and it came from a great offload from the experienced Rangi Chase.

His pass released Frankie Mariano and Town just could not hang on to the Doncaster players as it also went through the hands of Jason Tali before reaching Thomas Halliday who touched down. Matty Beharrell added the extras.

It was a tough game and Town were nearly caught out again as Doncaster's quick hands saw the ball travel to Halliday and only a last ditch tackle from Jamie Doran and Wellington ckept him out.

But Doncaster were not giving up and they flung it right across the field where Scott Rooke and Perry Singleton had to combine to deny them again.

On 22 minutes they extended their lead as a kick to the left hand side was palmed inside by Halliday to Jason Tali and the centre dotted the ball over the line, with Beharrell again on target to make it 12-0.

Declan O'Donnell looked to cross the line and try and get Town back in the game but the move was pulled back for an obstruction by referee Gareth Hewer.

But again it was Doncaster who got further ahead as they took advantage of a Town mistake to break away with Beharrell doing enough to stretch his arm over the line and add the goal for 18-0.

Town marched downfield after a couple of penalties in succession but they couldn't seem to find any way through the tough Doncaster defence.

And on the break Doncaster were looking dangerous with Town scrambling on several occasions to stop them getting any further ahead before the break.

The second half again started with the visitors on the up and Doncaster took advantage of some indiscipline from Town to slot over a penalty from Beharrell to take their lead out even further.

Blain Marwood came on the field to replace Penkywicz and seemed to have an immediate effect as he released Fuifui Moimoi into a gap and then backed up himself to gain his side great yards.

But again they could not finish off the move as mistakes crept in.

Moments later Curwen was held up over the line but then the final kick through was shepherded out by Doncaster as Moimoi chased it down.

It steadily got worse for Town as Doncaster upped another gear and Halliday got in for his second of the afternoon wide out but this time the conversion was missed.

Curwen got the closest again for Town as they desperately looked to get a foothold in the game and eventually they forced a drop-out but again it came to nothing.

And as Doncaster flew back down the field, Frankie Mariano strode out and past Doran to score by the sticks, leaving Beharrell an easy conversion to hit the 30-point mark.

Town got a late consolation with six minutes remaining as a flourish saw Caine Barnes stride over the line but Forber could not tag on the extras and it was a loss for the home side.