Workington Reds have the upper hand at the break over visiting Kendal Town in this first round Integro League Cup tie.

The home side are 3-1 ahead at the break with the majority of possession and chances coming from the Borough Park outfit.

Gari Rowntree, Luke Ivison and Nathan Waterston bagged the goals for Reds as they looked to progress in the competition.

An early shot from Nathan Waterston struck a defender and went out for the first corner of the game which was eventually cleared by the visitors.

But Reds kept coming and were showing their intent from the off, Waterston tussling with former Reds youngster Leo Holliday down the right flank.

And they tasted success just inside the sixth minute as Danny Grainger turned in a corner and Gari Rowntree rose to head it home.

That lead was shortlived though as Michael Hodgson showed his pace for Kendal down the left, he beat his man and then shot home, with the ball getting past Lewis Casson in the nets and taking a deflection off the post into the back of the net.

Reds had much of the possession but in the next 10 minutes all hey had to show was a Kieran Maguire effort that went right into the arms of Murray O'Rourke and a Robbie Hebson cross that went right across the face of the goal but found nobody on the end.

Good work from Matty Clarke down the left earned Reds a corner which Kendal scrambled to clear at the expense of a second but the second was booted away by the visiting defence.

Maguire tried his luck from distance but it sailed just over the crossbar to the disappointment of the home faithful.

Aidan Howarth showed plenty of composure for a youngster under pressure in defence to clear his lines while Reds continued to press forward.

The best chance for Reds to go back in front came after a Grainger ball into Maguire saw him shoot with pace, the ball just going the wrong side of the post.

Workington got their advantage back in the 36th minute after good work from Clarke to beat his man again, he came inside and slotted the ball into the path of Ivison who powered the ball home past the keeper to make it 2-1.

Maguire was unlucky not to be on the scoresheet as he turned and shot but again it was just to the left of the post.

But Reds did go in at the break with a 3-1 lead as a nice through ball from Grainger found Nathan Waterston. He calmly took on the keeper and slotted it past him.

He nearly got a second just moments later as he found himself in space again but this time his shot went over the bar as he was closed down and the whistle sounded for half time.