Another tight Cumbria League Cup game did not go Cockermouth’s way.

With the result hanging in the balance right up to the final whistle, Furness held on for a 26-23 win.

This game was another big physical encounter but with some excellent expansive and skilful rugby played.

Cockermouth got off to a great start with Ed Gate making a nice break up the middle of the field.

His support produced quick ball, which was followed up by the forwards who put Ryan Hetherington in for the try in the right-hand corner.

When the lively Furness back-row were penalised for killing the ball, the Wasps chose to take three points via Gate’s boot.

Furness got back into the game with a converted try under the posts.

The visitors played their best rugby in the first half, up the Furness slope, and the next try was the pick of the day.

Strong runs from Ostle and Adam Brough found great field position, and as the back-line were held up under the posts, No.8 James Sewell moved through with a strong fend and spin to crash over the line for a seven-point try.

Furnesss scored just before half-time with a soft try, conceded after a cross-field kick was not dealt with.

Cockermouth led 15-14 at the break but the second half was not as good for them.

They kept the tempo of the game high, matching Furness physically, and were very happy to score next with a penalty from Gate.

Then, after a nice short side play, Ross McGuire was put into space. He decided to go for a grubber kick which was followed up by open-side Sam Wilson.

The resulting ruck produced space for hooker Wayne Cavanagh to crash over in the corner and, at 23-14 with 20 minutes to play, it was looking good for the Wasps.

Furness started to play their best rugby but Cockermouth weren’t helped by two seemingly harsh yellow cards for Brough and Josh Whild.

The game shifted to Furness and two tries, one converted, in 10 minutes put them in control of the game.

Yet even with 13 men, the Wasps put in an excellent effort to win the game in the dying minutes.

After a collapsed driving maul and two scrums on the home line, it looked like the next scrum would create a try or penalty try but, unfortunately, the ball came flying out of the back-row and Furness killed the ball to win the game.

Dan Martin was named Cockermouth’s Man of the Match.