Police have named the 39-year-old Wigton man who has been charged with attempted murder.

Scott Topping was charged after a man in his 20s suffered a serious knife wound during an incident in the town's King Street on Friday evening.

In a statement, Cumbria Police confirmed that Topping has also been charged with possession of a bladed article, common assault and threatening a person in a public place with a bladed article.

"The charges relate to an incident that occurred outside the Throstle's Nest pub, Wigton, on Friday evening (April 12)," said the statement.

A local woman, who is in her 40s, sustained a serious head injury which is not believed to life changing, continued the statement.

She has been discharged from hospital.

A local man who is in his 20s remains in The Cumberland Infirmary in a serious but stable condition.

Topping is due to appear at at Workington Magistrates court tomorrow.

In an earlier statement, released on Twitter, Detective Chief Superintendent Dean Holden said: "A man is now charged with attempted murder amongst other charges...Excellent response by uniform officers, police staff and detectives. Community Impact Plan in place."

Police were called to King Street, near the Throstle's Nest pub, at 10.23pm on Friday.

The injured man suffered a serious wound to his face, allegedly caused by a knife.

A spokesman for the force said the incident involved two men and a woman, who suffered a head wound.

When police arrived at the scene, she was bleeding but conscious.

"Friday nights in Wigton can be pretty rowdy," said one local woman.

"A lot of older people don't like going out at nights.

"This is shocking."

She reported seeing several police cars in the area at 10.45pm as officers began their investigation into what happened.

Another resident, a woman who lives near to the scene of the incident, said: "People are really shocked by this."

In a earlier tweet, Mr Holden said that "significant resources" were committed to the police investigation of the incident.