The rugby league doubleheader to raise funds for the Great North Air Ambulance in memory of Cameron Taylor was enjoyed by an excellent crowd.

In the end it was honours even, with Kells A beating their Wath Brow counterparts 24-10 while the senior National Conference clash saw Hornets triumph over Kells 44-22.

The two-match event was put on in memory of the Kells’ player, who died in tragic circumstances during the winter. His memorial trophy went to the winning Kells A team.

Hornets A had gone ahead with a try on six minutes by Aiden Dawson nine before the hosts levelled three minutes later through Sam Murtagh.

Five minutes before the break a try from Clarke Chambers, converted by Dan Starkie, gave Kells the lead.

In the 50th minute Wath Brow were level with a try from Luke Spivey, converted by Jason Connery, but from that point Kells took control.

Kieran Fleming, Daley Stables and Starkie all scored tries, one of them converted by Starkie.

In the senior game, Wath Brow held a 22-16 lead at half-time but they were able to pull clear by the final whistle.

Two converted tries in the final quarter of the game sealed their victory and kept their 100 per cent record.

The Brow made a flying start with two tries in the first ten minutes from Fran King and Ellison Holgate, one converted by Cole Walker-Taylor.

But within ten minutes Kells were level as Mason Lewthwaite crossed twice, one converted by James Ennis.

The game then swung Wath Brow’s way with tries from Curtis Teare and Holgate, both converted by Walker-Taylor.

Then, just before half-time, Harry Watson edged Kells closer with a try converted by Jake Parker.

Tries in the 50th and 58th minutes from Dean Rooney and Greg Howland pushed Hornets clear, Walker-Taylor converting one.

A try on 62 minutes from Tyrone Dalton, converted by Ennis, gave Kells hope but Wath Brow finished well with tries by Peter Caddy and Sam Curwen, both converted by Walker-Taylor.

After two successive defeats Distington bounced back to winning ways in the Hollmen Iggesund Cumberland ARL Premier Division.

The reigning champions picked the right time, too, as they beat an Ellenborough side who have been unbeaten so far.

It finished 20-14 to Distington as they maintained their six-point advantage from a half-time lead of 12-6.

Kian Dempsey, Luke Penrice and Owen Hoyles scored the Ellenborough tries with Hoyles converting one of them. John Todd was their man of the match.

Distington won the game with tries by man of the match Phil Lister (two), Scott Rooke and Jamie Friel, with two goals from Scott George.

One of Distington’s conquerors were Seaton and after they had been well beaten last week by Wath Brow A they hit back with a 30-12 win at Glasson.

Man-of-the-match Malik Steele scored two tries for Seaton who led 18-6 at the break.

The other touchdowns came from Ryan Heron, Jon Carl Bryan and Ciaran Walker. There were five goals – three from Cieran Walker and two by Marc Walker.

Ryan Morris, the Glasson man of the match, scored a try and Joe Kirkup also got over with goals from Morris and Keenan Winter.

Seaton A pipped Lowca 22-20 in the First Division of the Hollmen Iggesund Cumberland ARL.

Seaton A should have played Maryport but several of their players were taking part in a coast-to-coast walk for charity and they contacted Lowca about playing instead.

Hensingham A and Egremont A could not raise enough players for their games with Cockermouth and Aspatria respectively.

At Seaton, the home side built a 16-4 lead by half-time but needed a converted try after the break to win it as Lowca fought back.

The Seaton tries were scored by Shaun Johnson, Richard George, Tony Quinn and James Robinson, with Brandon Walker converting three.

For Lowca there were tries from Emmerson Allen, Matt Farrer, Jacob Johnston and James Taylor. Tony Hetherington improved two.