WORKINGTON Town fans remained in good spirits at the weekend, despite their game being cancelled due to a milk tanker incident on the M6 creating traffic chaos and preventing both the team and supporters from reaching the match.

Workington Towns away fixture on July, 2 was cancelled with players being unable to get to Oldham RLFC to play their fixture due to the incident.

The team and supporters travelled to the game on Sunday morning having to return home 10 hours later after only reaching Preston.

However, both club and supporters remained positive about the day, which allowed them to spend ‘quality time together’ as a team.

Times and Star: A view from the team coach in standstill traffic.A view from the team coach in standstill traffic. (Image: Workington Town RLFC)

Director, Graeme Peers said: “Workington Town RLFC didn't have the day they planned yesterday, unfortunately circumstances worked against us, however the players and supporters made best of it and ultimately, we all returned home safely, which is the main thing.

“Our thoughts go out to those involved in the incidents and hope they all returned home to their families safely too as that's the most important thing. We as a club, spent quality time together and in the hustle and bustle of a matchday that can sometimes be overlooked or forgotten about.

“As a club, we regroup, train hard and will be ready to welcome all our fantastic travelling support down to the ground on Sunday to mark the start of a new dawn, a double header involving Town Ladies v Newcastle Thunder Ladies and followed by a crucial game with Rochdale Hornets.

“Thank you for your unwavering support and humour across social media across the day on Sunday, it really did help pass the hours away.”

"Fans were also in good spirits, saying despite the long journey the day was ‘as usual’ a good one, even stopping for a quick refreshment break before heading home.

Scott Graham from the Derwent Park Supporters Club said: “Unfortunately, both supporters were held up for a long due to the milk tanker incident on the m6.

“When we stopped at the service station the drivers of both buses put their heads together to try and get us to Oldham but unfortunately any diversion routes were all full of traffic.

“It took us till 3.30pm just to get to Preston, after a quick hour stop in a pub, we headed home which took a further 5 hours. A long day but as usual a good one with the supporters, a shame no rugby went ahead.”