An annual pre-loved fashion shopping extravaganza event is returning later this month in Cockermouth.

Cockfrock is a celebrated two-day sale featuring an array of high-quality second-hand ladies clothing.

The event is due to take place at the town’s Kirkgate Centre on June 29 and June 30.

It presents an opportunity for people in the area to offload well-preserved items they no longer wear.

Sellers receive 70 per cent of their sale price while the remaining 30 per cent supports the fund-raising efforts for the Kirkgate Centre.

Kirkgate Centre general manager Emma Heys said: "We are delighted to play host once again to Cockfrock.

"It has become a big part of the town’s events calendar, and many people look forward to it.

This sentiment is not just shared by the locals but also, by proponents of sustainable fashion.

Quoting Oxfam's 2023 research, Ms Heys claimed that "if all UK adults bought half of their next wardrobe second-hand, it could prevent a whopping 12.5 billion kilogrammes of carbon dioxide emissions entering the atmosphere".

She went on to claim that these emissions savings equate to the equivalent of halting "261,000 flights from London (Heathrow) to Greece (Athens)".

Ms Heys added: "Re-selling pre-loved clothes therefore makes such a lot of sense, both in environmental and financial terms, particularly in the current economic climate.

"It is also a lot of fun."

(Image: Visit Cumbria)

Sale hours on both days differ; Saturday doors will open at 10.30am and close at 4pm, reopening again at 7pm until late.

On Sunday, shopping can be done from 10am to 1pm.

Each entry session costs £2 and automatically enters attendees into a raffle.

Those under 25 years are exempt from the entry fee for the Saturday evening slot.

The success of Cockfrock has inspired a new event catering to a different market.

Kirk Kit, focusing on pre-used sporting goods and equipment, will be held at the Kirkgate later in the year, from September 27 to 29.

Ms Heys said: "Over the years of holding Cockfrock sales, we have had lots of people asking us why don’t we do the same for other items?

"We like to take the communities’ suggestions on board, Autumn is a great time for people to have a clear out of unused sporting goods.

"So have a think about the abandoned tent in the loft, unused skis in the garage, bike that is too small for your youngest, the gym kit purchased online that looked nothing like the picture when it arrived, the walking boots that you bought in the sale that gave you a blister every time you put them on."

Similar to Cockfrock, registration for Kirk Kit will cost £2.

For more information, contact the Kirkgate office via 01900 829966.