It’s been a long time in coming but Maryport finally earned their second win of the season in the Iggesund Cumberland ARL.

After a two-year absence, the Maryport club returned to competitive rugby in March and won their opening game. But they have run up a sequence of defeats since then until travelling to Lowca and going home with a 32-28 victory.

It was always close – 16-16 at half time – but Maryport edged it in the end by scoring six tries to five.

The Maryport tries came from Scott Akehurst (3), Andrew Cartwright, man of the match Anthony Faulkner and Ethan Williams. Four goals from Dean Bragg boosted the cause.

Lowca replied with tries by Greg Smith, Adam McGrady, Jake Syme, Jacob Johnson and James McNally. Keith Campbell landed for goals and Aiden Pirie was their man of the match.

The Ellenborough club derby went predictably the way of the first team as they handed out a 50-0 beating to their own A team. They built on a 32-0 half-time lead, so the A team could be heartened by their second-half effort. The tries came from Kevin Hoban (3), Kai Gilhespy (2), Luke Penrice (2), Niall Gray and Andrew Burns with Owen Hoyles landing seven goals.

Likewise Distington were 52-0 up at half-time against Seaton A but scored less frequently afterwards, eventually winning 76-0. In-form Gavin Martin (3), Kieran Worthington (2), Aiden Worthington (2), Steve Clarke (2), Bryan Ritchie, Greg Bedford, Kelvin Lynch and Dan Park scored the tries, with 12 goals by Kieran Worthington.

Wath Brow A continue to chase the big two of Ellenborough and Distington, underlining their credentials with a convincing 52-14 win over Cockermouth Titans. Hornets led 20-8 at half time and pulled away after the re-start, finishing with 10 tries. Jay Wetherall grabbed a hat-trick of tries and kicked six goals but did not get the man of the match award which went to Aiden Dawson.

The other Wath Brow tries were scored by James McCartney (2), Jack Casey, Adam Meagan, James Dixon, Dawson and Dale Bell. For Cockermouth there were tries for Joe Beaty, Jack Clark and Regan Tinnion. Clark converted one while Liam Wild was their man of the match.

Kells A came from behind to beat Aspatria 34-22 after the Hornets had led 16-10 at the break.

Aaron Burns (2), man of the match Jake Parker (2), Jordan Cunningham and Grant Gainford scored the Kells tries with Cameron Taylor kicking five goals.

Aspatria’s response came through tries by Kristian Beattie, Luke Johnson, Luke Crossman and Stuart Creighton plus three goals by Johnson. Guy Reed was their man of the match.

In the all A-team game Egremont beat Hensingham 28-8 after being ahead 16-4 at the break.

James Newton (2), Billy Thompson, man of the match Brad Long and Kevin Brown scored the Egremont A tries with Thompson landing four goals.

Hensingham A’s tries came from Eddie Mawson and Finn Barwise with Wayne Laverick picking up their man of the match award.