Champions Cockermouth Cricket Club suffered a setback in their bid to get back into the race for Cumbria Cricket League’s Premier Division title.

On recent form, the top side in the competition, they crashed to defeat at Keswick by 104 runs, undone by the wiles of home professional Geeth Kumara.

The Sri Lankan spinner took 6-17 off 10.4 overs as Cockermouth wilted in their pursuit of Keswick’s all out total of 190. Only Greg Platten (35) offered serious resistance and Cockermouth were bowled out for 86 in 32.4 overs.

Kumara had also done his bit with the bat, making 38 as Keswick’s main three batsmen did the bulk of the scoring - Glen Weightman (43 not out) and William Atkinson (39) also contributing.

Cockermouth’s woe was added to with the news that both Furness and Carlisle had picked up comfortable wins, and the champions now have 25 points to make up on the leaders.

Furness stayed three points clear after beating Whitehaven by five wickets although, chasing 104 for victory, they would have expected to win with a bit more in hand.

In fact, they were 47-4 in pursuit of Whitehaven’s modest total but an unbeaten 48 from Ryan Griffiths helped steer the league leaders home after only 20 overs. Whitehaven pro Safyaan Sharif took 3-37.

Opener Chase Young, with 40 off 35 balls, including four fours and two sixes, was the main contributor for Whitehaven, while both Josh Shaw and Peter Lawson took three wickets.

Egremont elected to bat at Edenside and were soon in trouble after winning the toss and batting first.

They slumped to 12-3 and then 23-5 as, once again, Michael Slack and Fraser Conn combined to put Carlisle in charge.

Owen Thompson (12) and Mark Ponticelli (28) offered some belated resistance, but the home team’s bowlers again shared the wickets as the Egremont innings closed on just 86. Conn with 3-10 and Jonathan Davidson with 2-7 were the pick of the Carlisle attack.

In reply, Carlisle gave some batting practice to James Dawson as home skipper Marc Brown tinkered with his line-up. In the event, Dawson, with 23, was the only casualty as Carlisle coasted to a nine-wicket win, with Ben Davidson unbeaten on 34.

Workington stayed fourth in the table after they beat Wigton by 65 runs at the Valentine Ground.

Put into bat, Workington were given a good start by openers Kristian Moffat (37) and Grant Reid (26) but then lost wickets at regular intervals.

Dave Chisnall and Adam Chambers added 24 for the ninth wicket to help the hosts reach an all out total of 150. Chambers finished on 27 not out. Chris Hodgson took 4-23 while Nico Watt (3-27) and John Reed (3-33) shared the other wickets.

Chambers also starred with the ball as the Wigton innings never got going. Only Andy Oliver (26) and Hodgson (16 not out) got into double figures as they were bowled out for 85 after 41.3 overs.

Chambers took 5-21 from 15 overs and was well-supported by Lewis Hull (3-23) and Matty Lowden (2-22).

Cleator had an impressive eight-wicket win at Millom in a game which started late because of a wet outfield and was reduced to 35 overs a side.

Millom made 176-8 with Graham Dawson top-scoring on 48 and Dave Rooney (3-28) proving to be Cleator’s most successful bowler.

Cleator swept to 179-2 in 25.3 overs with Dave Watson in his most destructive form. He hit 88 off 57 balls and that included seven fours and seven sixes. Darren Clark was 37 not out and professional Supeshala Jayathilake was unbeaten on 25.

Lindal Moor were bowled out for 140 at Dalton in 47.5 overs.

That proved to be well within the home side’s compass as they reached 144-3 in 38.4 overs, led by Liam Steel (68).