Carlisle Cricket Club and Furness both won on Saturday to stay out in front in the race for Cumbria Cricket League’s Premier Division title.

Leaders Carlisle have a six-point advantage over their rivals ahead of the crucial clash between the two sides in south Cumbria this Saturday.

Against Whitehaven, Carlisle didn’t hang about as they bowled out the west Cumbrians for a paltry 33 at Edenside, and quickly knocked off the runs for a 10-wicket win.

Professional Mike Slack did the damage as he claimed 7-15 and only one Whitehaven batsman, Jonathan Stewart (10), reached double figures. Lewis Keeler had dislocated his finger in the warm-up and was unable to bat for the visitors.

Then, skipper Marc Brown and Jonathan Davidson (with 17 not out apiece) steered Carlisle to the 10 points in seven overs.

It was a close-run thing in south Cumbria where Furness squeezed home against Millom by 10 runs after the game was reduced to 30 overs a side following a late start.

Furness were put into bat and reached 125-7 before bowling out their hosts for 115 with four balls left.

Reigning champions Cockermouth were indebted to a late charge for their victory at hosts Cleator as, without it, they could well have been overhauled.

Mark Middleton hit 24 off the final over from James Rogers which went 6-2-6-4-0-6, and Cockermouth were able to reach 165-9. Earlier, Alex Grainger (32) and Marcus Stables (39) had looked set before getting out. Middleton was 33 not out.

For Cleator, David Rooney took 3-28 from his 15 overs and Ian Clark had 3-22 from 10.

Cleator were in trouble at 71-6 but an eighth-wicket stand of 51 between Adam Hodgson (39) and Liam Mattinson (21) put them back into it.

However, Cockermouth pro Kavishka Anjula produced two fiery spells and finished with 5-32, his best return of the season. Cleator were bowled out for 136 with skipper Tom Sharpe doing best at the top of the order with 33.

Wigton had their best result of the season when they beat Keswick at Fitz Park by four wickets.

Professional Chris Hodgson bowled well to take 5-25 from 14 overs and he was well backed up by skipper Nico Watt (4-31) from 13 overs.

Keswick slumped from 42-1 to 89 all out, with opener William Atkinson (34) and professional Geeth Kumara (24) the only ones to get in.

It didn’t look good for Wigton as they stumbled to 35-6 with Dan Craghill (3-27) the main tormentor.

However, an unbroken seventh-wicket stand of 55, dominated by Theo Manihera (41 not out from 41 balls) and well supported by Hodgson (12 not out), got Wigton to victory on 90-6 from only 18 overs.

Workington were beaten at Dalton in the last over, losing by two wickets with five balls to spare.

The west Cumbrians were asked to bat first and were indebted to opener Grant Reid who batted through the innings before being run-out off the last ball for 79.

Only Callum Sutton (14) and Kristian Moffat (12) reached double figures as they reached 160-8 with Dalton captain Daniel Sharpe taking 4-48.

Rob Jones did the same job for Dalton as Reid had for Workington but, when he was out for 50 with the hosts on 100-5, the west Cumbrians looked favourites.

Joe Braund-Smith had other ideas and his 42 not out helped them to 160-6.

With the scores tied, Dalton then lost two wickets but a four off the first ball of the final over gave the home side victory.

For Workington, Adam Chambers took 4-38 and Dave Chisnall had 3-21.

Relegated Egremont are still chasing that elusive first win after they were well beaten at home by Lindal Moor.

They might have thought there was a chance of that win when they bowled out the visitors for 129 with Mark Ponticelli taking 5-48. Opener Ryan Gilmour top-scored with 37.

But, once again, the Egremont batting proved fragile and they were bowled out for 55 with Lindal pro Janith De Silva taking 5-28 and Gilmour claiming 4-5. Nobody reached double figures for Egremont.