New Cumbria Cricket League Premier Division champions Carlisle Cricket Club finished the season with a comfortable win at Keswick.

League chairman Steve Chambers presented the trophy to Carlisle after they had beaten their hosts by 82 runs.

After winning the toss, Carlisle elected to bat and, despite losing Alex Raybould cheaply, they scored consistently with James Dawson (63), professional Mike Slack (38) and James Lythgoe (33) leading the way.

They reached 198 and were all out off the penultimate ball of the final over, with Dan Gaskell (5-54) and Geeth Kumara (3-68) sharing the bowling honours for Keswick.

Professional Kumara held the Keswick innings together with a fighting 58, but opener William Atkinson (13) was the only other batsmen to reach double figures. Jonathan Davidson took 4-28 and Slack had 3-13 as the home side were bowled out for 116.

Cockermouth were, surprisingly, beaten in their final game as reigning champions when they lost at home to Whitehaven.

There was a tense finish, before Whitehaven edged home by two runs to complete their best performance of the season.

Michael Richardson, who was only released by Durham in August after 10 years' service, was Whitehaven’s sub-pro and he proved an excellent recruit.

Although a wicket-keeper / batsman at Durham, his off-spin bowling proved crucial as he took 4-47 from his 15 overs as Whitehaven won off the final ball of the game when three results were possible.

Remarkably, Whitehaven were also bowled out off the final ball of their 50 overs and reached 156 with Charlie Minshaw (28) and Richardson (26) their main contributors.

Probably symptomatic of it being the final game, Cockermouth used eight bowlers, all of whom took a wicket and they also changed their batting order when they replied.

Their usual top-four batted in the last five but couldn’t swing the game their way, bowled out agonisingly close on 154. Jonathan Norman top-scored with 23, while Stephen Holliday backed up Richardson with 4-32.

There was another thriller, this time at Gillfoot, where Egremont finally notched their first win of the season - in the final game - beating Millom by 10 runs.

Batting first, Egremont were bowled out in 45 overs for 132 with Matthew Hunter the leading batsman with 25 not out. But the Egremont total owed much to the amount of extras - 49 in total, 33 of which were wides. Robbie Wilson and Paul O’Callaghan each took four wickets.

Although Millom started well enough with runs for David Fallows (32), professional Sameera Sadamal (27) and Mike Gill (22), they slipped from 107-5 to 122 all out.

For Egremont, David Raynor took 4-22 and Jack Stubbings had 3-2.

David Blackwell has put his injury problems behind him to finish the season in style for Cleator.

His six-wicket haul against Dalton took his season’s tally to 41, even though he missed games with hamstring trouble.

Dalton were 16-7 at one time, but a battling 21 not out from Chris Leach got them to 47 before they were bowled out. Blackwell finished with 6-28.

Cleator made short work of knocking off the runs. They raced to 48-0 in just six overs with professional Supeshala Jayathilake making 41 of those, hammering four sixes and three fours.

Workington’s inconsistent season continued into the last game where they were comprehensively beaten at Lindal Moor.

The west Cumbrians had won the toss and invited their hosts to bat first, and although they grabbed a couple of early wickets, it eventually proved a bad decision.

Lindal made steady progress through Jack Cumberbatch (20) and were 123-4 when opener Callum McDougall was out for 51.

However, the professional Janith de Silva smashed 111 off only 57 balls with 11 sixes and six fours to take their final score to 253 all out in the 48th over. Under the de Silva onslaught, Mathew Lowden did really well to take 3-30 off 13 overs.

The Workington innings never got off the ground and only Matt Goodall (20) and Lowden (19 not out) made double figures, while extras finished with the top score of 22.

De Silva took 3-21 and Bradley Stephens had 3-13.

Furness made sure of finishing runners-up when they beat Wigton by 49 runs.

The south Cumbrians had made 180-8 from their 50 overs and then bowled out Wigton for 131.