Keswick were unable to immediately sustain their North One West revival as they lost 24-3 at home to Vale of Lune.

Although not scoring a try, Keswick held the visitors to 12 points either side of half-time, a result that compares well to the 43 points conceded at Vale of Lune in October.

Keswick kicked off into the wind and the difficult conditions were immediately obvious.

The visitors had the best of the early scrums and Keswick kicked through where they could, but the contrary wind made that tactic a challenge.

On eight minutes, Vale picked and drove after winning a line-out, making progress round the sides until an inside pass created the space for their first converted try.

When Keswick won a penalty 25 metres out in centre field the strength of the wind blew the ball back and Lewis Bell’s attempt fell short.

When Vale kicked a penalty to the corner the ball was thrown to the back of the line-out where it was mauled and driven for an unconverted try on 21 minutes.

Keeping the ball tight was proving to be no better a tactic than running with it as the wind and rain made handling difficult and many a promising move by both sides ended with a knock forward.

Kicks were also difficult to deal with as the ball drifted on the wind but most catches were taken cleanly.

The second half got off to a bad start as the wind had dropped and with it the advantage it had given Vale.

Receiving the kick-off, Keswick tried to run from within the 22 but were dispossessed in the tackle and Vale ran right, gaining a penalty advantage before crossing in the right-hand corner for an unconverted try.

As the half developed, the Keswick scrum got the measure of their opponents and they reduced the arrears on 48 minutes.

A penalty was tapped and run across field three times, gaining ground each time before winning another penalty just outside the Vale 22 and Bell converted.

The penalty count against Keswick began to mount and they went down to 14 after a yellow card.

With Keswick a man down Vale created an overlap to score a converted try. There was plenty of effort from both sides in the final quarter but no further points.

Penrith could have done Keswick a favour against Broughton Park but their own worries continued as they were beaten at home, 15-10.

Since being unable to fulfil a fixture at Wilmslow and being docked five points Penrith have lost to Keswick and Broughton Park, two sides in the bottom four.