Only two of the top five in the Cumbria League played on a weather-hit weekend but both were successful.

Wigton’s forward power brought a 29-5 victory against a very determined Windermere side, while Whitehaven were 34-7 winners at Workington.

The third game saw Millom beat bottom side Creighton 37-5.

Windermere started with the strong wind behind them and Wigton had to rely on the forwards to make ground.

The visitors defended well, however, matching Wigton in the scrums and it was not until the 37th minute that the Greens were able to get some points on the board with Robert Marrs charging over the line for a 5-0 interval lead.

The second half started with Wigton on the offensive and after only two minutes, a pick-and-go by club stalwart Marrs allowed Elliot Armstrong to touch down for the second try which was converted by Richard Moffatt.

Five minutes later Armstrong once again touched down in the corner to increase the lead.

Shortly afterwards a kick through was collected by Moffatt who passed the ball out wide to Matthew Harrison and he was able to touch down for a bonus-point try.

Windermere, following their great defensive effort, were beginning to tire and Charlie Studholme was able to touch down in the corner for a fifth try, converted by Moffatt.

Directly from the Windermere kick-off, Marrs’ normally deft footwork deserted him as the ball somehow managed to evade the Wigton defence and the visitors were able to score in the corner.

Conditions were equally bad at the Ellis where the Zebras slipped to their 11th defeat of the season, while the bonus-try win hoisted Whitehaven to fourth in the table.

Creighton fought hard at Millom before they slipped to their 19th consecutive defeat and it took them over 1,000 points conceded for the season but they remain determined to break their duck in the remaining seven fixtures.

Saturday fixtures (2.15pm kick-off): Cockermouth v Egremont, Furness v Carlisle Crusaders, Hawcoat Park v Silloth, St Benedict's v Upper Eden.